Chapter Thirteen

[WARNING: MATURE CONTENT]

13
•••

   You can't help but take constant glances at Jennie's dress designers, who sit on the couches in extremely long patience for the Princess to come and prep for the event.

They've been waiting for three hours, and it has been three hours too long since you should have gone up to Jennie's quarters and knock on her door.

But as you nitpick your straightened hair and diamond accessories in front of your vanity, you tell yourself she'll be down in any minute now.

Jisoo enters the lounge, now dressed in her sleek primrose gown, elegant as ever. You're about to compliment her beauty as she approaches, but when she notices the slugged designers, she appears agitated.

"Rosie, where is she?" she asks in hushed tones.

"She'll be here." you respond coolly.

"She was supposed to be here at three o'clock- guests are to arrive in forty-five minutes."

You look at the designers again and they seem desperate to hear what you and Jisoo are discussing.

"Aren't you going to check on her?" she asks.

You think not.

Jennie doesn't want to see you. She made it very clear this morning even in her blank state of mind. Even intoxicated, she has no tolerance for you.

She said she would be ready in time for the ball and you've chosen to believe her.

"She'll be here." you repeat, pinning your eyes on your reflection.

"Right, of course," Jisoo sighs and smiles apologetically to the Northern visitors. "Anyhow," she turns back to hushed tones, "your father wants to see you."

You look up to her, looking for a hint of good or bad news in the request of your presence, but she merely purses her lips and shrugs her shoulders. Standing up from the chair, you bow to those who have helped you dress and prepared you to look your prime.

Jisoo accompanies you to father's office, asking of your excitement for the night. "So so" you say, and truthfully, because there is not much to look forward to. You will present yourself, greet the guests in superficial conversation, have a dance or three, a toast of bitter champagne, and wait around for the visitors to leave. The only part that seems worth being excited for is closing the night in the comfort of your bed.