Untitled Part 3

3

He was seated at the opposite end of the table across from her, his eyes trained on her pale face worn down by the day's ordeal. And that was only the beginning. Things were going to get much worse here on out. She was still so very young and delicate. His protector instincts roared to scoop her up and take her as far away from the dangers as was feasible. Gabe reached into a side pocket and produced a packet of gum. He suddenly felt her focus shift towards him, and even though she could not physically see him, he felt her piercing stare sere his very soul, branding him permanently as her own. He was hers and hers alone.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" she purred in a voice smooth as velvet. The sounds that voice could make.

Gabe shifted uncomfortably in his chair, a weight suddenly pressing against the constraints of his three quarters. She was wearing her hair in a loose pony tail, some strands coming undone and tumbling into her face, giving her the appeal of a goddess unfurled from slumber. He popped the stick of gum into his mouth and abruptly rose to his feet, a tingling sensation causing the hairs at the back of his neck to stand on end.

"Your parents are here. I will return with them shortly and you will know everything, love."

Gabe wasted no more time and was at the front door in the next instance, almost colliding with the couple in question on impact on the front porch.

"Gabriel," Ester greeted warmly, embracing him.

She was a slender, petite woman with bleached-blond hair and eyes cerulean as the sky above. Both Ester and her husband, Elijah, were White folk, unlike the natives of Trinidad and Tobago who were predominantly Black or possessed mixed heritage.

"Ester, how have you been? I trust your journey was fruitful."

Without waiting for a response, he turned his attention to a very old friend of his. No words were needed to be exchanged as both men clapped each other affectionately on the back and exchanged a few words in hushed conversation.

Elijah was a tall fellow and towered over his wife's five foot four like a skyscraper, dwarfing her both in height and body mass. He was a rippling network of muscle and sinew and held the championship of heavy weight in several countries. In short, he was someone Gabriel did not want to piss off. Although, Gabriel could certainly hold his own, and it had nothing to do with skills acquired in this realm.

"Kai's also leaving the station and will meet us here after he makes a small detour at home to grab Lucy some appropriate attire," Ester said, glancing over Gabriel's shoulder into the house. "I would like to see my daughter. "

Of course," Gabriel said. "She's in the dining area. Both of you know the way. I will be along shortly."

Needing no further prompting, Ester swept pass Gabriel into the foyer, her husband hot on her heels.

Gabriel sighed and shut his eyes, head tilted towards the sun-dappled heavens, his mop of crimson curls billowing like dancing flames in the golden sun. Taking a deep breath, he opened up himself to the connection with his brothers of the Arc.

"Gabriel?"

"Michael, how are things top side?"

"Chaotic. A delegation is being readied to be sent your way as an exercise."

Gabriel combed a hand through his hair, a look of frustration briefly crossing his face.

"An exercise?" he snapped. "We don't need a demonstration. We need back up."

"Saludos hermanos," the third brother abruptly cut in.

"Nice of you to finally join the party, Rafael."