chapter eight

TEDDY DIDN'T HAVE MUCH TIME

TEDDY DIDN'T HAVE MUCH TIME. He had to come up with a proper plan, and fast. By nightfall, at best. Shaw had a teleporter. He could be anywhere in the world by now. That meant it wouldn't be hard to get a war started. All he had to do was convinced some people to put missiles in enemy territory. And seeing how he managed to convince Angel to switch sides, he had to be persuasive. The demigod didn't want to take any chances.

He didn't have any belongings with him. He didn't bring anything with him, not that he had much. He waited in his room, staring blankly at the wall and coming up with all the ways he could kill Shaw as he awaited nightfall.

Night time was the only time he could leave. Any time earlier, and people would try to talk him out of it. It was something he would rather avoid. Especially now. He couldn't let anyone talk him into forgiveness or anything of the sort, something he was sure would happen if he left like a normal person. Fortunately, he was less than normal.

Soon enough, the sun set. He waited for another hour after that, just to make sure it was pitch black. He did not want to be seen. It was tedious, but a small price to pay for vengeance.

Late that night, Teddy made his way downstairs. He kept his footsteps as light as possible, though he was sure it was not needed considering the size of the mansion. After a few silent moments of walking, he reached the front door. He took a deep breath. He pushed the door opened and walked out into the cool night air.

"Teddy!" A voice called out to him. He froze mid step. It was Charles, so much was obvious by the British accent.

Slowly, he turned around to face the older man. "What, Charles?" He asked, his voice taut. He had to leave if he were to catch up to Shaw, or even get to him at all.

"Are you sure you are making the right choice here?" The man asked as he stood in the doorway.

Teddy narrowed his eyes. "Stay out of my head." He hissed. It was an invasion of privacy to search his thoughts, and through his mind.

"I wasn't in it. I don't need to be to know you're going after Shaw." Charles said calmly.

Teddy huffed. "You can't change my mind."

Charles gave the demigod a small smile. "Maybe not. But I think he can." He stepped aside, and there was Alex. The telepath pat his shoulder and retreated inside.

That left the two boys to stare at each other. One could only imagine the thoughts running through their brains. A mix of emotions could be seen in their eyes as they looked at each other.

"I know what you're going to say-" Teddy started awkwardly, a hand rubbing his other arm.

"No you don't." Alex interrupted, raising an eyebrow. "What are you doing out here?" He proceeded to ask.

Teddy shrugged and let his gaze fall to the floor. He could not just lie. "I was going to hunt down Shaw. I said I would, Alex." He admitted. He found it hard not to tell the truth to this boy, so why avoid it?

Alex crossed his arms. "I know you did. But is this really the best idea?"

"I'm... I'm not like you, like the rest of you." He said in exasperation. "I'm not a mutant. Okay? I don't even belong here." He blurted, avoiding eye contact as he let his body fall to the floor. His back his the grass, and he made no move to get back up. Instead, he stared up at the stars.

Alex sighed and made his way over, mimicking his friend's actions. Instead of looking at the stars, though, he was looking at the brunette beside him. "What do you mean, Teddy?" He asked softly, not wishing to agitate him.

For a moment, Teddy did not answer. He kept his eyes trailed on the night sky that was slowly clouding up. "Anyone I get close to dies, Alex. I'm a demigod. That's what happens." He explained quietly. "I'm the son of a god, and therefor everyone I love has to suffer." He scoffed as a thought crossed his mind. "The son of the goddess of love, but I can't seem to experience love without death following it." Tears threatened to fall, but he blinked them away.

Alex had questions, but he chose to keep them to himself. This was not the time. He did, however, need to say something. "None of us are going to die, Teddy..." He said softly. "Not if I can help it."

Teddy smiled sadly, turning to head to face the other boy. "Death is, unfortunately, inevitable." He said, thinking back to his old demigod friends. "I do appreciate the thought, though."

"Going after Shaw won't stop death from coming then, will it?" Alex asked, his voice quiet.

The demigod sighed. "No, I guess not... but it might delay it."

"Or, alternatively, we can stop him together, as a team."

Teddy sat up. Alex followed his lead, his eyes not leaving his friend's figure.

"Maybe... maybe you're right." Teddy admitted. He did not want to, but he couldn't deny what the other boy had said. Was revenge really the answer? Or would it just end with his demise? His charmspeak could only go so far, after all. And maybe, just maybe, a singular demigod facing a team of trained mutants was not the best idea.

"Just think about it, okay?" Alex said, placing a delicate hand on Teddy's shoulder. He did not want to pressure the boy into making a decision he did not want to make, but he also did not want him to make the wrong, and suicidal, choice.

Teddy numbly nodded, staring off into the distance instead of looking his friend in the eye. If he did, he might break down in tears.

With a sad smile, Alex stood up and returned inside, only once glancing back at his friend. It might be the last time they would ever see each other.

hey guys! how are you? i hope you're all doing okay. i just wanted to check in :)

i would also like to thank you for the support on this story! when i started it, i wasn't sure if anyone would read it, but it's doing surprisingly well, for my standards! so thank you very much!