Spells/Rituals in 'The Craft'

The movie is about three different but beautiful teenagers who are outcasts in their high school. Although they are very much different. They bond and hold their friendship by using the Wiccan religion as their common interest. But soon they find that the magick is not for fun and games. It is something that is not used for personal gain or quick fixes in their own complex lives. Throughout the movie you see the young teens chant together, do frequent spells, they call the four corners on the beach, one walks on water, and towards the end you see them flying.

• The girls used actual Wiccan rituals. The Craft's technical advisor was Pat Devin, a Dianic Elder Priestess. She consulted on the elements used in the movie and modeled them after actual rites.

• Fairuza Balk is Wiccan in real life and eventually purchased the pagan store she frequented to do research for her role as Nancy. Panpipes Magickal Marketplace claims to be the oldest occult store in the U.S.. Unsolved Mysteries, Dream On, and Witchboard II have all used Panpipes as a filming location.

• During the invocation of the spirit scene on the beach, a colony of bats appeared and lingered on set, the waves rose up and extinguished the candles used for the scene and when Nancy was calling for the spirit to "fill her" the set lost power.

• The god the girls invoke, Manon, is made up. The technical advisor asked not to use a real deity because she "didn't want hordes of teenagers running down to the beach or out to the woods invoking anybody real."

• However his name resembles an actual Gaelic god, Mananan. Mananan is god of the sea, invoking his spirit would have made actual sense in the movie as afterwards Nancy has the power to walk on water and is offered the gift of sea creatures.

• An actual spiritual event happened. Wiccan technical Advisor, Pat Devin, said of filming: "On the last day of shooting at the beach, one of the actresses asked me to Dedicate her to the Path of the Goddess. We walked up the beach in the dark, away from the lights, to a cove where I Dedicated her and presented her to all four quarters. For her name, she took a name that I'd told her I would have named my daughter, had I ever had one."