Chapter 24

"Tyler, please stop pacing. You are stressing me out" I asked of my boyfriend.

We were sitting in the hospital waiting room, Madi had been taken in for her surgery today and Tyler insisted on being here to wait for her. Mrs James told him there was no point as she would be groggy when she wakes up anyway, but Tyler said he had missed out on too much already and wanted to be here. Like the dutiful girlfriend I was, I was here with him. 

He stopped pacing and sat beside me. "It's been 3 hours already, she should be out by now"

"I'm sure they will come and get you when she is back in her room. Do you want me to go and get you something to eat or drink?"

"Maybe just a coffee?" he replied, throwing his head back with the frustration of waiting around.

"You have had 4 coffee's already. I'll get you a smoothie. Don't stress Ty, your aunt isn't even here, she trusts the doctors and so should you." I walked behind the chairs, so I stood over his head that he still had tipped backwards staring at the ceiling. Pecking him on the lips, "I'll be back shortly, try not to wear a hole into the floor while I'm gone"

He groaned in response. I admired the love he has for Madi, but I wish he would calm down a little bit. Mrs James had explained to him that it was a routine surgery, they were doing a skin graft over some of the really bad burns on her legs. As long as this surgery went well and the skin started to heal, Madi would be able to come home by Monday and just need visits from the home visiting nurse.

As I stood in line at the cafeteria trying to decide between the mango or the banana smoothie for myself my phone vibrated. I assumed it would be a text from Tyler wondering why I was taking so long. Looking at my phone, I was somewhat surprised.

Hi Kayla, I am staying another week with Uncle Phillip on the lake. It is doing me some good. Mrs. James called me to check in. Said you are welcome to stay there as long as you need, she seems to think we should talk. I hope you know you can tell me anything baby girl. When I'm back we will talk. Love you, Dad.

I stood staring at that message, not sure what to take from it. Mrs. James called him? Would she tell him everything behind my back? That's the longest message I've had from my dad in a long time. Maybe this time away is doing him good, maybe he should send Drew away too.

"Miss are you ready to order?" a voice from behind the counter called to me, snapping me out of my thoughts about my father.

"Oh, yeah. May I please have a berry smoothie and a banana smoothie" I ordered with the middle aged lady behind the counter, sliding my phone away and deciding I would worry about my dad later.

Taking the smoothies for us, I headed back upstairs to the paediatrics waiting room where Tyler was. When I walked in, I could see he was now accompanied by Mrs. James. I instantly felt a pang of annoyance that she had talked to my dad but tried to push that aside, and plastered on the nicest smile I could muster.

"Here babe, got you berry smoothie. Hi Mrs. James", I greeted her, "Thank-you for the invitation to your 4th July party, I'm super excited to attend"

"Hi sweetheart, I'm delighted to finally be able to invite some of Harry's friends this year" she smiled, always so formal.

I smiled and a gave a small nod before sitting on Tyler's other side, grabbing his hand. He looked at me, studying my face for a moment.

"What's wrong? You look a little upset" he asked me.

Was I really that easy to read? I need to work on that. "Hmm? I'm fine. Any word from the doctors?" I replied, dismissing his concern.

"No and no you're not. I know you Kayla, I can see it in your face"

"I just got a text from my dad. He is staying away another week. Wants to chat when he gets back, apparently someone told him we should talk" I said, raising my voice as I mentioned someone to let Mrs. James know that I knew she called my dad. If she noticed, she didn't let on.

"Ok, well could be good he wants to talk"

"Yeah, maybe" I said, taking a big sip of my drink.

"Tyler, I had a call from the prosecutor earlier. I know this may not be the best time to bring this up," Mrs. James began and that quickly stole Tyler's attention from me.

"The prosecutor?"

"Yes, from the police department in the case against your mother. They need you to go back to the house to go over a few things. Do you think you are up to it? Perhaps you could take Harry with you?"

"Oh. I didn't know they could still go ahead when she is in a coma. Um, I guess I can go there. I'll take Kayla with me... if that's ok with you Kay?"

Tyler looked to me, I looked to Mrs. James who I could see pursing her lips. 

"Yeah, it would be cool to see your hometown" I replied.

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather take Harry? You could make a boys weekend out of it, see your old friends" Mrs James pressed the issue.

I could feel Tyler beginning to tense up, I squeezed his hand trying to silently let him know that it was ok.

"No, Aunt Nessa. I would like to take my girlfriend. Send me the details of the prosecutor and I'll get it sorted" Tyler replied.

"Girlfriend? So you two are an item now?" She questioned, disapproval more than obvious in her tone.

"Yes, we are. Is that an issue for you?" Tyler turned to face her now. I shrunk down into my chair. This whole conversation was getting awkward and going much the same way every single conversation between Tyler and his aunt seemed to go- south.

Mrs. James seemed to mull over her answer, debating how best to answer without further annoying her nephew.

"I am concerned you are living together and dating. You have both been through a lot, be careful with each other's hearts." She paused, seeming to be considering how to continue. 

"Look, I care for you both, so I won't get in your way. Oh and please, for everyone's sake, use protection, a teen pregnancy is the last thing either of you need" she finished.

I felt my face heat up as I choked on my drink. To my surprise Tyler began to laugh, I'm not sure if he was laughing at my reaction, the fact that Mrs. James seemed to either be lying or changing her reasons for being concerned or that she was so frank about us sleeping together.

"Um, sure Aunt Nessa. You've been heard" Tyler said finally. He turned to me, "No teen pregnancy babe, we are already two messed up teens" he winked at me. I shook my head, not believing that this is where this conversation went to.

"Gotcha. So, when do we need to go to your hometown?" I asked, keenly changing the topic.

Tyler looked to his aunt as she held all of the answers.

"They just said as soon as possible. It's already Thursday, so perhaps you could go on the weekend. I assume you will stay there as it's a long drive. I'll give you my credit card for the weekend and you can find a hotel to stay in overnight. As long as you don't abuse the card, accommodation, gas and food only" Mrs. James replied.

"Thank-you, I appreciate it" Tyler replied. I was slightly blown away that this conversation was ending civilly and she was even agreeing to shout us to a hotel room. Talk about backflip.

"Mrs. James? Tyler James?" A doctor approached us, snapping all of us away from the current conversation.

"Madison is back in her room now, she is slowly waking up but you can go in there to see her. The surgery went as planned and now as long as the recovery goes just as well, you can take her home on Monday."

"Thank-you doc!" Tyler jumped from his seat almost before the doctor finished speaking and rushed off to Madi's room. Mrs. James and I gathered all of our belongings and followed Tyler down the hall.