Chapter 17: Diverting attention

Teresa arrived tired of having taken care of the baby males and having a bad feeling because of that secret meeting in Eden. Rita came to greet her and became uneasy when she noticed from the beginning the laughter that came from the side of the bar.

The girl approached and saw Kariba doing a kind of "strength" competition with Adrian, with the right arm supported and pushing the other's hand. It was a sort of game that they forgot centuries ago.

Kariba had managed to push his forearm and was contentedly smiling, even though she had reached that point with difficulty.

"Hello, how was your day?" Adrian wanted to know when he saw Teresa.

"Don't get distracted. You're losing," claimed the blonde girl. "Did the books say you were strong? I don't think so," she bragged after gasping from the effort. "For the record, I haven't even used my full strength."

Adrian smiled and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, me neither." And he began to really push before the desperate look of the girl who tried to prevent him from winning but could do nothing.

"No, no, no, no, haaaah," she complained weirdly and pulled away, making him laugh.

"All good," murmured the black-haired girl approaching the drink machine.

"Your mom is waiting for you in her office," DOPy told her.

"Thank you." Teresa had a glass of water and went to see her.

Adrian realized how distant Teresa was. Maybe her coworkers had bothered her again. Unsettled by the brunette's obvious concern for Teresa, Kariba grabbed his arm and asked him to tell her something about his life.

Clara turned to see her daughter entering.

"I see that Kariba is there," Teresa commented.

"She was already here when I arrived, so..." Clara tightened her lips and continued checking the hologram's haircut design. "The newswomen are still looking for the celebrity who sneaked into your college, but I think you know she's not even a woman."

Teresa let out a heavy sigh.

"I know. I should have put security for pets so that he wouldn't escape," she lamented, massaging her forehead.

"How to make them forget about it? Or at least, to make them focus on someone else..."

"I'll do it," Teresa said decisively, having a sudden idea.

"Huh?"

"Don't worry. I think I know how to distract them."

The girl came out in better spirits, but it was soon appeased when she saw how Kariba laughed at something her Adrian had said, who was smiling and looking at her in surprise at the same time.

"My joke is not even so funny, but look at her and how well she enjoys it."

Teresa felt that horrible and devastating jealousy. Did he like Kariba's laugh? Did he like to make her laugh? Teresa swallowed hard. Neither option was pleasant for her. Then she remembered why she had come out.

"Kariba, I needed your help."

The blonde smiled enthusiastically.

"Yes, tell me."

"I already sent you the design specifications for my competition and..."

"Yeah, true! You will have it right away." The blonde prepared to go. "See you, Adrian," said goodbye in a flirtatious tone.