Fantasy Sub-Genres II by Crimson613

Welcome back and good day to our new and old readers! ^_^

In the last issue the following sub-genres of fantasy were discussed: High, Epic, Low, Dark, Mythic, and Paranormal. If you need to refresh your memory then you can find the link to the previous issue in the external link.

Now then, I’m pretty sure that everyone knows what fantasy is but if not...here’s a definition:

● imagination unrestricted by reality

● a creation of the imagination, especially a weird or bizarre one

Thank you dictionary.com!

Next up are some questions that arose while working on this issue. I tried to take these into consideration when working on what genres to present to everyone.

1. Do we separate Mythic stories that deal with gods from ones that deal with ghosts, fae, or spirits?

2.Then there are fairy tales. Fairytales can be retold or new stories can be written like a fairy tale...do we separate those?

With this agenda in mind, let’s begin!

Let’s start with the second question since I want to go by alphabetical order (ish):

- Fairytales can be retold or new stories can be written like a fairy tale...do we separate those?

Fairytale fantasy is unlike other genres and has been widely disputed. What makes a fairytale a fairytale? Some characteristics are: it uses folklore themes, plots, and characters such as goblins, elves, trolls, mermaids, magical helpers, and fairies. Another is that the events happened “once upon a time,” so the beginnings can’t be traced. This also makes world-buildings rules more flexible to work with and gives us wiggle room for two more story types.

o  Legends: A narrative that is believed by both the teller and the listener to have happened in human history. They possess qualities that make them seem true or real. This narrative can be altered with the passage of time to keep it fresh. Another characteristic is that the mentions of religion are common, unlike in fairytales where it will be only passive.

o   Fables: A fictional story that features animals, mythical creatures, plants, and inanimate objects, and gives them human qualities and abilities. Morals are common and can be summarized at the end of the story in one sentence.  

-  Do we separate Mythic stories that deal with gods from ones that deal with ghosts, fae, or spirits?

Mythic Fantasy is a genre that draws from the tropes, themes, and symbolism of myths, folklore, and fairytales. This genre is usually associated with mythpunk and urban fantasy.

o   Mythpunk: In this subgenre, there is a bizarre retelling of fairytales with pervasive anxiety, fear of change, and symbolism. It all starts off with folklore and myths and, as it develops, hints of postmodern elements are added. This genre tends to avoid linear/obvious story structures, simple prose, and easily-discernible characters.

Mythopoeia: This genre isn’t only specific to fantasy and can also be found in science fiction. It is also known as artificial mythology since the author can create a myth. This genre aims to bring mythology to modern readers by using real-world mythology as a basis.

Purpose of a Myth

To explain how things came to be.

To teach lessons or values.

To unify a group or define a group’s identity.

To explain social or religious issues.

To entertain.

And those are the genres for this issue.

I’ll let you think up an answer for the questions that were asked.

If you want my opinion, then here it is:

The lines of these genres seem very thin and I’m sure that I wouldn’t be able to categorize things correctly if I had to. Should we separate new and old fairy tales? I think we should, just because it would be easier to find something that interests a reader, but then how do we categorize the new? We could retell a story of a fairytale with vampires or wolves as characters. Would that still be a fairytale or would that be paranormal fantasy?  Hmm…

Anyways, see you in the next issue!

Hope this was helpful.

Any questions, genres, or topics you want covered in the next issue? Leave a comment with suggestions and we’ll look them over! ^_^

Books In The Discussed Genres

1. Fairytale Fantasy

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

Through the Looking-Glass - Lewis Carroll

The Princess and the Goblin - George MacDonald

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum

The Swan Kingdom - Zoe Marriott

Fathomless - Jackson Pearce

Sisters Red - Jackson Pearce

2. Legends

Philosopher’s Stone

Vlad the Impaler

Helen of Troy

King Arthur

El Dorado

Atlantis

3. Fables

Animal Farm - George Orwell

99 Fables - William March

Seven Wise Masters - Syntipas

Baital Pachisi (also known as Vikram and The Vampire) -

4. Mythic Fantasy

Chimera - John Barth

The Moon's Wife - A.A. Attanasio

The Cure for Death by Lightning - Gail Anderson–Dargatz

Mistress of Spices - Chitra Bannerjee Divakaruni

The Stolen Child - Keith Donohue

5. Mythpunk

Hook & Jill - Andrea Jones

Weetzie Bat series - Francesca Lia Block

The Orphan's Tales - Catherynne Valente's

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

6. Mythopoeia

The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkein

Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis

The Silmarillion- J.R.R. Tolkein