38 Deserted Like the Moon is at the Dawn

Shit goes sideways. That's it. That's what happens. 

WELCOME TO THE DISASTER RECOUPLING. 

**

What the show never captured was how chilly the evenings were in Mallorca. The days were blisteringly hot, but when the sun descended past the skyline, the icy breezes skimmed over the skin, leaving goosebumps in their wake. Often the islanders gathered in little pockets in the kitchen or under the potted trees, where the cold would pass them by. 

But not tonight. The weird vibe seemed to have affected the weather as well.

Bobby ran a hand across his damp forehead as the boys lined up at the firepit. The air was stagnant, no breeze to speak of, so it was blisteringly hot and humid, and so much worse near the fire. Sweating copiously, everyone sat except Jakub, who stayed on the lawn, feet spread wide, hands stretched above his head, hyping himself up.

"I'm feeling good! I'm ready!" Jakub shouted, doing strongman poses, grunting and relaxing and then doing it again. "Hoo ah!"

Gary chortled and did his own strongman pose. "Hoo ah," he whispered. A chorus of chuckles rose from the rest of the guys and they all began doing ridiculous macho poses. Their quiet laughter relieved the sticky tension that hung in the air like spiderwebs.

Even without the frosty breeze to carry it, nothing could stop the mélange of sweet and spicy perfumes that always arrived just before the girls did. The guys stilled. One by one their partners arrived. The fire licked over their faces, casting fire and shadows as they traded nervous glances. Lili was near the end of the queue, her curls scraped into messy buns. She smoothed the fabric of the loose-fitting dress she must have borrowed from another girl. Hope grabbed her hand and squeezed it like a lifeline. She smiled at something Hope whispered, and like always, her smile knocked the wind out of him. Those ever-present autumn leaves in his chest swirled and brightened at the sight of it.

Lili's eyes found his and he was overwhelmed, and so frightened of what was going to happen, he looked away, staring at his hands. He wished he'd talked to her. Wished he'd asked her to be his.

After what felt like forever, but was only a matter of minutes, the ding of a phone made everyone jump.

Jakub cleared his throat and flexed his sizable pecs. Beside him, as if he'd been challenged, Gary did the same. Bobby glanced down at his own chest, willing it to do that, but his muscles refused to perform on command. How did one learn that skill?

"Alright. I want to couple up with this girl because I think a lot of people in here might have given up on her. And because I think I see something in her that nobody else does." Everyone shifted and looked at each other in confusion. "She's a great laugh," he continued. "And I want to see where things go with her. I always say I'm not afraid to shake things up. I want to see where my journey takes me." He flexed again. "Anyway, the girl I want to couple up with is..." He smirked.

"Priya."

Everyone gasped. Noah locked eyes with Hope across the flames. She stared back, as expressionless as he usually was.

Rahim's brows drew together, and he took a step out of the queue, glaring at Jakub. "Wait, what are you play—"

Gary put a hand on Rahim's arm. "Easy, mate. Easy."

Priya stepped forward, looking unsure. She let out an anxious laugh and tossed her hair over her shoulder. Jakub, radiating smugness, grabbed her hand and pulled her to the seat beside him. She looked at Bobby and mouthed the word, help.