FOUR

DICKINSON
" the heart wants what it wants, or else it does not care "

MORNINGS WERE A HIT OR MISS FOR VIVIENNE. If she woke up on her own account, then she'd be in an excellent mood — wake her up and you're practically asking for a death wish from the girl.

And today was the latter as her roommate Roisin Byrne roused her awake on their first day of classes.

Vivienne was still cursing under her breath at the Irish girl on her way down the staircase with Varian next to her. She'd wished Hattie were her roommate instead — the Hufflepuff tended to sleep in just as much as Vivienne would.

"I wonder what schedule we'll have for this year's term," Varian pondered loudly as the two entered the Great Hall.

"Me too," she mumbled back, making their way to the Slytherin table only to hear Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson rile up the others with their ridiculous imitation of Potter fainting to Dementors.

"Hey, Potter!" Parkinson shrieked, her nose scrunching up and resembling a pug. "Potter! The Dementors are coming, Potter!"

The rest of the Slytherins roared in laughter as they pointed and sneered at the Golden Trio. Vivienne rolled her eyes, purposely coming to a stop in the aisle between Malfoy and Parkinson, and the Gryffindors. She made a show of raising a haughty eyebrow of annoyance at them as Parkinson's snickers died down. Malfoy scowled darkly at her, but obviously feeling a hint of fear at the older Slytherin, he turned in his seat and continued eating his breakfast.

Potter opened his mouth to speak to her — perhaps thank her, but she shifted her irritated gaze to him as well and he clamped his mouth shut.

Varian coughed to conceal his snort as he grinned humorlessly at their childish antics and followed along after his sister to their usual seats. "A wonder," he mused, sliding into the seat across of her. "A wonder, that's what you are. The only one those half-wits are actually frightened of."

"They're just being dumb, the lot of them," she grumbled, pouring herself a goblet of pumpkin juice. She didn't like eating breakfast, it made her stomach hurt so early in the morning, and she hated the bitter taste of coffee.

"Don't worry, you did a good thing — check out Professor Lupin's face."

Vivienne glanced over from the goblet she had raised up to her lips — and paused upon seeing the mild amusement in his face. His lips were curled up to the barest of smirks as he cut his pancakes into bite-sized pieces. His brown hair tumbled over his forehead, the angle of his head bent in a way to conceal the scar marring his face.

     She kept her curious gaze on him — she kept it until Snape walked over and obscured her line of sight.

"Mr. and Miss Darling," he drawled in that nasally tone of his, handing over their class schedules before moving along to the next student.

Varian seemed satisfied with his as he swiftly tucked the piece of paper between his books. Vivienne skimmed through hers, mumbling incoherently as she followed her brother's actions.

"Morning, Viv," a sweet voice said pleasantly as she felt someone peck the top of her head. Oliver grinned, bending to capture her lips in his for a chaste kiss. "Sleep well?"

Vivienne felt her mood lighten considerably. "You could say that," she said and kissed him once more.

Oliver perched on the seat next to her, reaching over for her schedule. "We have D.A.D.A. together for second period today. Save me a seat next to you if you get there before me, yeah?"