Chapter 9 - Scherzo di Notte

Connor

"Frankly, I don't think the plan will work." Anto states. "I mean, it will be very obvious that it is a trap. An enforcer, capturing and oppressing a civilian? Anyone will realize that something's wrong."

We left the Enforcer's camp later that night after we've been told about Sir Dunton's plan to capture the Blind Ghost, or Spirit of Vengeance others might say using Mr Peyton as a bait. Sir Dunton looked and sounded very determined with this arrangement. The plan is, to play the oppressor role to pressure Mr Peyton in a reasonable level, as Fulke did before he was assassinated.

We were also informed that Sir Dunton has been dealing with the cases involving it. This time, it is his fifth case. The others all went failure though, as his target successfully outmaneuvered his capture plan. But they provided relevant and significant information about our target, mainly about his objective to 'protect' the commoners.

"That is only if the Blind Ghost doesn't know anything or anyone about Sir Dunton or his Enforcers squad." Castille adds. "Sir Dunton himself will lead the procedure. As well facing off with the Blind Ghost himself."

"We need to help him with that also, remember?" I say as we are walking our way to Mr Peyton's shack, done for tonight as the plan will take place in next night. For now, we should rest well and gather our strength for that. Sea-scented breeze is gently flowing through the air, as stars are twinkling faintly in the sky afar.

"By the way," Castille says as we reach the shack. "Do you know why he was also called Spirit of Vengeance? That name sounds rather scary and it should has a story behind it."

The three of us look at Mr Peyton as he enters the shack through the worn out curtain which serves as a door.

"Well, Mr Peyton?" I ask him. "You know anything about it? Care to enlighten us?"

"Yes, I know about him." he answers calmly in a wise, omniscient old man persona. "I also met him back then, when he was still alive and breathing."

"You met him?" Castille says as we begin to sit down on the floor to listen to his story. A small candle, recently placed by Mr Peyton on a small table filled out the darkness, aside from the faint moonlight from the outside. "If I'm not mistaken, he was a mercenary."

"Why yes I am. He's a nice boy, although didn't talk much. Had a strong sense of justice, willing to share his payment to the less fortunate commoners and protecting us from potential threats that they viewed him as some sort of hero, regardless of his job as a mercenary."

"I see... That's interesting." Castille crosses his arms, contemplating on things he just heard. "Do you know what his name is?"

"No, none of us known his real name. In the mercenaries' world, he was wide known as the Black Bandit, noted for his armor and clothes, which are black from top to toe. His skills were unmatched. a top-notch mercenary whose single payment is worth more than to support a family of four for a month. He even leads his own band of mercenaries due to his own reputation" Mr Peyton's voice suddenly goes sadder. "But even the best could fall."

I tilt forward to hear him closely. "What happened to him?"

"One day, he and his band of mercenaries messed up on a job. Rumor said that they were being trapped by the Enforcers. Those who protested are killed on the spot, the rest are captured. No one knows for sure what happened once they were captured, but it is safe to assume that he is killed; first for being the leader, second for causing troubles with the powerful noble families in his last jobs. Irritated them as much as wanting him dead, I should say"

"That's a tragic end despite his heroic and fearless acts," Anto says, "What kind of stunts that he pulled against the families?"

"Stolen precious trinkets from them, messing up their shady business, dealing with unfair treatments," he answers. He looks quite proud, as if justifying the mercenary's vigilante acts. "He was an excellent thief, by the way. And he willingly gave the money to us as a form of charity."