Chapter 1

Picture of Dylan Sprayberry as Gale. :)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I never understood why people drive to school. It's just a waste of time and money. Because look, people who drive need gas. You need money to buy gas. You need a job with a decent pay to even buy enough gas for errands and driving to school. But maybe it's just me and my simple living style. I mean, I don't have to pay for the school bus ride and yeah, it may be crowded sometimes but usually, not so much - rarely would I have to sit three to a seat during the ride. Besides, it's not like it's anymore dangerous than riding alone. At least on a bus, I'll have some 25 ish students as a cushion.

"Gale, get your ass down here!" my mom yelled, snapping me out of my morning monologue. My mom was an energetic and upbeat woman that tried to be hip. She always had energy at all times of day and no matter how old she turns, not that age was a problem for her. My mom was an unfortunate soul who had a bad accident when she was a teenager: she was raped by her boyfriend and got pregnant. After her baby was born, her boyfriend left her and she's been single since. Don't get me wrong, my mother is an amazing woman. Things just don't work out in her favor as often as she deserves.

Ever since that day, she has been raising me since for 16 (almost 17) years now and there's nothing I would do to change that. No matter how young a parent is, it's always awkward when they try time be in-the-now with their kids. That's why I hardly bring any friends home.

"You better get down quick because if you miss the bus, I'm not giving you a ride," she yelled from downstairs. I rolled out of bed with the apparent need to do something on Monday mornings. I walked over to my closet and grabbed a striped shirt and some jeans. I put on a simple, solid green sweater over my shirt and that was it. I try to live a simple lifestyle with some neat life hacks for excitement and entertainment values such as using floss to cut cakes or spraying my shoes with waterproofing spray.

After I was done dressing myself and making my hair, I went downstairs where my mother was preparing her lunch. I made my breakfast and sat down to eat it. It was mostly quiet between us and we enjoyed that. We had a strong enough connection to where we don't need to converse at all times. We just talked to each other and everything was fine.

"I might pull some more shifts than usual at the restaurant so you will be home alone for a while, OK?" she informed me. My mom was a single mother and worked at the local dine in. Both her parents died in a car accident a couple of years ago and all their money had been given to her. Both of her parents were extremely well off and she was going to be, as well, if it wasn't for me. Funny, isn't it? Now she's barely getting by on her own without using the money my grandparents left us. It's because she doesn't like using that money unless it's for something like the bills for the house. I always tell her I'm okay with moving to a place where the house is cheaper but she insists that we stay here because the school is one of the best in state.

I nodded in response and got up to go to the bus stop. It was cold outside and the cold bit the ends of my fingers and the tip of my nose. As I got closer to the bus stop, I heard the familiar sound of an engine accelerating.

"Dammit," I mutter to myself. I actually missed the bus. I tried running after it but the yellow vehicle just seemed to shrink into the horizon. By bus, it took about 15 minutes to get to school from where I live so if I walked, let's just say I won't be making it to Pre Cal first period. Not complaining though.

A car horn scared the shit out of me and I spun around to see who was the imbecile that snuck up on me with a car and honked at me. I turned around expecting to see an jock who couldn't help but to bully every living soul that was not on the team. Instead, I was greeted with a hunk with the most milky, caramel eyes and hair anyone could ever imagine. He looked about the same age as me and was heading the same direction as my school was in. My breath hitched a little bit watching him drive by in a simple white T-shirt and jeans.

"Do you need a ride?" he asked casually. God, his voice was like a dream that just rolled out of heaven and into my ears. His voice sounded so magical and warming, making him sound like he should be a hot Disney price. "I'm going to Ranch High School. You?"

"Same," I said, trying to sound cool. I didn't say anything else because I was distracting. His arms are just so...

"Hop in, then! Don't want to be late, now do we?" he said without a care in the world. I shook my head quickly, trying to wake myself up from this torturing dream. Nope. Nothing happened so this must really be happening. I got into his car and he started driving to school.

"I'm Jacob, by the way," he said with a warm smile.

"Gale."

I found out a couple of things about Jacob on the way to the school. He lived in Texas for his entire life, he's in football, and plays the cello. He's been playing for as long as I have - 6 years - so well probably be in the same class.

We made it to the school and we had to check in with our student ID's. Jacob didn't have one so I let him through and I took him to the front office. We were greeted by the front desk lady and they conversed about being a new student and the traditions, schedule, and other things.

"Gale, why don't you tour him around the school? I will give you a late pass," the front lady bribed. Free late pass? Yes please!

"I will take you on that offer, Mrs. Free," I jokingly replied. She and I go a long way back. When I lived in California, she was my neighbor so we spent a lot of time together. When she moved we were sad. Then we moved to Texas as well and as it turns out, we ran into each other again.

"Here, give me your schedule," I said, turning to Jacob. "So we have homeroom together, History, and Orchestra." I stated. "Follow me," I said, grabbing onto his arm. Oh my gosh, these arms. I could melt into these arms and with those same arms, he could try holding me together, making me melt more. Oh god, this will be difficult.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Sorry if the first chapter is really really long. I just didn't feel like there was a good space to break the chapter in half.
Peace!