sixteen

Salmah was discharged a week ago. She spent approximately two weeks in the hospital. She spoke to Mubeen for long hours every day. Of course, she refused him coming home without completing his studies. This motivated Mubeen to add more effort to his research work and his target was now in two months, he should be home. He missed everything about her, her food, God! Her smile, those eyeballs, when she hisses and wags her backside at him, when she’s mad at him and looks so cute, and then, he was finding it difficult controlling his sexual desire; he needed to go home. He couldn’t wait to round off the analysis, summary and submission. He could actually do all these in Nigeria and submit via mail, but his last professional exam as a member royal arch of England was in a month’s time. He planned to leave England that same day, immediately he completeshisexam.

Salmah was at her parents’ house. Her dad insisted he brought her home from the hospital. This nearly caused chaos between the two families, as even Baba wants her in the Adebola mansion; he felt a bit guilty for what happened to her. Dr Eesa had convinced them that he had to monitor the stitches and see that there are no infections whatsoever. She enjoyed the parental care she was getting. How much she missed this fatherly love and her mom’s food. She teased Mubeen a lot saying he can’t do half of what she’s getting here, even if he was at home. Some of her classmate came to visit her and her former roommates too. It was all over the news: famous Arch Adebola’s daughter-in-law got shot! Different headlines in several media platforms with just one picture, the picture in which she fell flat on the ground holding her arm. Even the school authority had delegated a number of staff to visit Baba at his residence to show their empathy.

It was very rare to see stories surrounding the Adebola family on the news. Alhaji Adebola had tried maximally to reduce to the barest minimum his appearance in public spaces. He was revered by a whole lot of people in the country for his calm and humble nature despite being wealthy. Mamman Suhail went to see Salmah everyday throughout the past week. She loved her since she was only a child at CC. It was a moment of joy and surprise when Mubeen mentioned her to them, ever since, she had been treating her like she would have treated Maymah. Anty Ruqayyah has loving and lovable attitude. She would come with her own made dish, knowing well, Mummy Saalim must have cooked. And Salmah, being that well mannered girl, takes delight in making her happy by eating her food in the afternoon, after all, she is her mother too.

Salmah had been expecting her mother-in-law for over an hour now. She was hungry and didn’t want to take something else for lunch. Luckily for her, Mamman Suhail arrived and she was glad. 
“Ha! Ammii, hope everything is fine? You got me worried o” Salmah asked concerned

“It’s your friend o, her husband called and said she wants to see me”

“Toh. How’s she doing?”

“She’s fine o. I don’t understand both of them at all. It’s as if I was never in love fa. Their love na wa. Umaymah craved dawanke made by me, her husband doesn’t know how to tell me. So, Umaymah asked him to tell me to come. I had to make it at their house, that’s what made me late. You need to see them, Umaymah couldn’t even eat herself, she insisted Ahmad fed her, as if she’s the first person to be pregnant. Kawai!”

Salmah giggled. She was about to respond when her mum came in to her room.

“Mamman Suhail, ekaabo ma”

“My sister, how una do today?. It’s your daughter that made me late today o, I was just telling Salmah about her antics. Chief Mrs oloyun. Its dawanke I brought today. That’s what Umaymah made me go through because she craved it.”

Mummy Saalim laughed and collected the cooler from her. She dished it and placed it beside a glass of water in the tray. She carefully placed it on the bed for Salmah to start eating, after which she sat down on the chair opposite Mamman Suhail who was sitting on the bed.