t w e n t y : l o s s

Birdie couldn't keep the smile off her face as she took the big camera from Odessa Stone.

Odessa owned the fanciest camera in town--complete with a tripod and clicker to snap the photograph.

She used to travel for National Geographic during the war, taking pictures of soldiers and cities.

"Just be careful," Odessa said warily.

"I always am, Mrs. Stone," Birdie assured her, propping the tripod under her arm and slinging the heavy camera bag over her shoulder.

Odessa's camera was only used for two occasions in Nowhere--for the annual sock hop and the Christmas service.

It was the only time Birdie was even allowed near the camera.

Tonight was her favorite night of the year (besides Halloween, when she'd stuff herself sick with her mother's caramel popcorn balls). Tonight was when she got to write the cover story for the Nowhere Post.

Tonight, Birdie Penny got to write with as many colors as she wanted. It wasn't like her black-and-white obituaries, describing the general biography of a ghost and then relaying its death to the page. Tonight was full of fun and laughter and vivid pictures Birdie's hands itched to describe.

Ophelia and Marigold were excited about the dancing and the dresses and the flirting.

Birdie was excited about sitting in the corner, scribbling down all of her observations so that she could write about the evening for the newspaper. It was the one event article she was allowed to publish in the Post.

She liked writing obituaries and talking to the ghosts, of course, but it was nice to write about life once in a while.

She'd do it like she did every year--with her camera set up in the foyer to take pictures of all the families or couples that would pose in front of a deep red curtain before entering the dance hall, then she'd move to her corner where she'd watch the festivities and write down everything she saw, while snapping an occasional shot of the dances, the food, or the people.

Then she'd bring everything to the press, where they'd have a two-page special featuring all the pictures taken and an article written by none other than Birdie Alice Penny.

She had a headline already: A Night to Remember

She would not be wrong.

There was only one thing left to do before going to the sock hop. Her family was probably already on their way and all of the businesses were closing for the night.

Evening time sent the town of Nowhere ablaze in a glow of bright orange that matched the sunset in the sky.

Birdie waved to familiar townspeople and ghosts alike, feeling a stab of guilt every time she passed by a spirit, wishing they could join the festivities.

She was heading to the news office, where she'd get her official assignment that had the usual list of boring guidelines she would inevitably break.

Then it was on to the sock hop.

She swung open the door to the newsroom, ready to be on her way, but she stopped mid-hello.

Her mouth closed with a click. Once she got her bearings, she attempted a smile. "Hi Sal."

Sal Hickory stood up from the desk he only used when he was in town, looking more grey and angry than Birdie last remembered.

"Birdie," he replied with a nod.