Chapter 5

Mervin was staring at Kaitlyn with great desire. ‘I wish she could understand how much I love her. I know we just met but I want her so badly. Her gorgeous hair that looks so beautiful even though it really needs brushing. Her beautiful features, flawless even without make-up on. She looks much better without all that artificial cosmetics and such smeared all over her face. Her mother’s old dress that her father gave to her because he knew how much Kaitlyn loved that dress; I know she would never forgive herself for wearing the dress today and getting it covered in sand and ripping it on the sharp rocks that lay, invisible, in the ocean. I don’t think Kaitlyn has noticed how beautiful she looks right now.’ A sharp jab made Mervin blink himself back to reality. He realised that Kaitlyn had noticed him staring at her. She looked confused and concerned. The jab came from Mary, “What?” He angrily breathed to Mary. She looked smug,

“Glad you found your way back to earth. And you’re welcome for stopping you drooling over Kaitlyn, and scaring her even more. You looked like your eyes were about to drop from their sockets.” Mary had whispered everything but Kaitlyn laughed. Wow, her laugh was mesmerising. And Mervin couldn’t help laughing along with her. Before we knew it everyone had started laughing, and it was hard to stop.

Mervin watched Kaitlyn as doubled-over. She was trying to keep a straight face but Mervin could tell that something had hurt her. He ran over to her before she could completely fall over, “Kaitlyn? Stay with me, sweetie” But she has blacked-out.

***

What happened? Everything is so fuzzy. One minute, we were on the beach, everyone was laughing at what Mary had said about Mervin. Next minute, there was a sharp shooting pain going across her stomach, then blackness.

Kaitlyn looked around. She was in a room, a white room, a familiar room. There was a white bed with silver railings down the side, with white sheets and a white pillow. The bed was occupied. She walked over to the bed, there was a woman. The woman had brown hair that seriously needed to be brushed. Kaitlyn suddenly found that a brush had materialised in her hand, so she started brushing the woman’s hair. But this turned out to be a mistake. The woman’s hair had started coming out as Kaitlyn brushed it, she stopped brushing immediately. The woman stirred, and opened her eyes. She made eye contact with Kaitlyn and cracked a huge smile, “Kaitlyn? Oh my dear Kaitlyn! It is you!”

The woman seemed happier than she had in a while; she looks a lot like… “Mother?” the woman smiled and nodded, “Mummy? Mummy! Oh my gosh, it is you!” Kaitlyn was crying now, and she hugged her mother as tightly as she could without hurting her, “Mummy I’ve missed you so much! And I’ve ruined your dress, can you ever forgive me?”

“Of course I can darling, but I need to tell you something, and I don’t have much time. I can see into the future, but the power overwhelmed me. Daddy does not know about this-”

“How does Daddy not know?” Kaitlyn interrupted,

“Hush now! Mervin is destined to be with you forever, he can see a little bit about someone just by being near them. And Daddy is part vampire, which means so are you. Grandma, my mother, is a witch, so you are a little bit vampire and a witch. Are you getting this?” Kaitlyn nodded, “You have a destiny to fulfil, but you must never ever rub that lamp! And I know where daddy is!” Kaitlyn was overwhelmed,

“Where is daddy?” there was suddenly a chorus of ‘Kaitlyn? Wake up! Wake up please!’

“Oh no! Daddy is-”

Everything went black. Then everything was bright, too bright. Much, much too bright! A hiss escaped Kaitlyns lips and her arm went over her eyes, burning them it was too bright. She managed to open her eyes a little to see why it was so bright, “How long have I been out? And why is it so bright?” A pair of sunglasses materialised in front of her. She took the glasses and put them on. “Thanks”

“No problem” This was a new voice, her eyes shot up to see a man who was puffed up in the chest, but had a slight coloured look about him, purple maybe? Kaitlyn looked petrified. “Don’t worry my dear. I am the all-powerful genie!”

Who let him out?” Kaitlyn was so worried, because she remembered everything about what her mum said, and she said ‘you must never ever rub that lamp’ Oh no! “Why did you let him out?”

“Because we were worried about you and you wouldn’t wake up! We had to try something!” Mervin said,

You let him out? He’s bad news! I don’t know what he’s after but my mother said not to ever let him out of that lamp! And she could see into the future which means he must be bad news!” Oh no, no, no! What could be done? The Genie must be bad news, or why did mother want him to be kept in the lamp?