Prologue

The breeze brought the intoxicating aroma of trout through my nostrils as I continued to rotate it on the metal rod that hung above the dimmed fire. The flames flickered vigorously allowing the crackling sound to fill the night air. My tunic sat loosely upon my diminutive body, the stitching slowly starting to unravel itself due to the age of the fabric. Dirt and grime stained my pale skin causing it to look as if it were an off-white shade. Dark bags formed under my eyes in evidence that I had not gotten proper sleep in quite some time. My sliver mangled tresses resembled an unkempt horse's mane that was attempted to be hidden under the hood of my thick cloak.

I managed to pull a pick of the trout without burning my fingers, but as quickly as I got it off was just as quickly as it vanished into my mouth. My tongue lapped at it while it was still in my mouth savoring the sweet taste of it, not wanting it to disappear to my stomach just yet. The fire was the only source of light in the darkness of the night. A mere pile of dry twigs collected by nearby trees with some unknown luck allowing me to actually get it lit. The wind fought as an enemy this night making me curl around my cloak for a sense of protection.

Though somehow under all these bruises, scars and stress the youthfulness of my young age still managed to seep to the top of my skin and shines like a lantern in the Cimmerian night sky. My body was tired from the long journey that I had traveled to get to where I am now, although I'm not quite sure where I am... The location of my where about are unknown to myself, and my destination is a mystery in itself. My sole goal was to get as far away from those assassins assigned to bring me to Lord Stallway due to my father unable to pay the taxes yet again. The thought of my drunken father dead sadden me, though at the same time gave me relief. Relief that he was once again united with his one true love. I didn't even realize it, but I brushed my hand against my cheek only to feel tears. So many tears that would not subtle.

"Damn you! Damn you for taking both of my parents away from me. You let me here alone. All alone in this tortuous land" The tears streamed down my face as I stared into the fire as if I would see something important... Something that was worth my attention.

The night seemed like it would never end though with one blink of my eyes it was over. The sun peeked off the tree tops the warm rays fanned against my nearly frozen form of a body which was just a mere pile of bones held together with pale flesh.

The fire was now smoking not lit at all, but barely burning due to the fact that no one was tending to it at night. I stood up gathering my belongs and placing them back in my pouch. The air was thick which cause it a bit difficult to breathe. I slid my strap onto my shoulder and proceeded to be on my way. To where, I was not quite sure though I knew I could not stay here.

My life was forever changed as I wondered these mundane hills. In search for something. A soft humming sound whistled from behind me causing me to turn my head. In the distance there were horse trotting. My eyes widen as I saw their colors: gold, crimson and white. Lord Stallway's colors. A rush of adrenaline washed over my body as only one word repeated in my head.

Run.