STARTING ANEW (36)

Picture of Timi above ☝️☝️

Dieko

"You can't just sleep o, we have to talk this night." Nmeso sits on my bed with Bridget and Feyi making me sit up.

"Why didn't you tell us?." Bridget asks.

"Tell you what?."

"About your family, your dad."

"I didn't need to, it wasn't a necessary information, was it?."

"True, but we're your friends, you don't keep things like that."

I sigh. "The thing is, I just met you guys, I don't know, I just felt like I couldn't share personal information like that."

"And Feyi you knew and you kept it since." Bridget glares at her.

"She told me not to tell you guys, she only told me cause I'm family."

"I'm sorry for keeping it from you guys, I'm really really sorry."

"It's fine, it's just-" Bridget stops talking.

"It's just what?." I prod.

"I never thought Yemisi could do a thing like that, I've known her since Junior school, she has never acted this way."

"I guess Dieko coming here made her show her true colors." Nmeso says.

"Hey!, I just remembered something." Bridget smiles turning to me, "You told Timi you liked him."

I groan burying my face in my hands. "Don't remind me."

"I really-"

A knock on the door interrupts Feyi, we all turn to face the door to see Dorothy and Ife standing there.

"Can we talk to Dieko for a while, please?." Ife asks.

"Oh, yeah sure." Bridget stands up dusting off imaginary dust from her night wear shorts.

"We'll go see those girls from Caleb." Feyi tells me as they leave the room.

"I know I'm a bad friend, no need to tell me again." I say.

Dorothy lets out a small laugh. "No, you're not a bad friend, at all, I'm not mad at you for not telling us."

"Ehn, me I'm mad o, very mad." Ife cuts in.

Dorothy hisses smiling. "We just don't understand why you didn't tell us, we've been best friends since like forever, didn't you trust us or what?."

"It's not that, I trust you guys, really, I guess I was just...ashamed, I mean this is the 21st century, whose father does a thing like that?, I didn't want to tell you guys because I felt you'll all start looking at me in a different light."

"That's rubbish Dieko, and you know it." Ife starts, "Have you forgotten in SSS1, when my elder sister got pregnant in her second year in Uni and my parents found out and almost disowned her, I told you guys when you asked what was wrong, because I trusted you guys, keeping things like that to yourself is like dying in silence, and after I told you guys, my sister had a miscarriage, it's not a good thing but deep down I was really happy because at least she could continue her education and fix her mistakes, and now she's in her third year, what she did is unforgettable but we're all happy now, you guys knew every single thing that happened and you guys helped me get through it, that's what friends are for."

Dorothy clears her throat. "We all have our own problems, it's how we choose to deal with it that matters, have you forgotten when my elder brother had cancer?, When I used to cry everyday in that smelling toilet." She giggles, "You guys helped me. A lot, and even when he died, I remained strong because even though he was my only elder sibling and my only brother, I knew I still had a lot of things to live for, I knew I had to live for my parents, my younger sister and most of all, you guys, my best friends." She pauses, "You shouldn't keep things like that Dieko, they are meant to be told to the people you trust so they can help you."

"I know, I messed up big time, I'm so sorry." I sigh cleaning off the tears that had fallen down earlier.

"It's not only us you have to apologize to." She points out.

"Akin doesn't want to listen to me, I've tried, he said we're no longer best friends."

Ife smiles. "We all know Akin didn't mean that, he was hurt, give him some time to heal, okay?."

I nod my head. They both pull me into a tight hug, our hug is interrupted by someone clearing their throat, our heads snap up in the direction of the door.

Timi is standing there, his hands in his pockets.

"Sorry ladies, can I talk to Dieko alone for sometime?."

"Yeah, we're going to bed now." They stand up.

"Goodnight." They wave before leaving the room.

"You could get punished if Mrs Nwachukwu catches you here." I tell him.

"We need to talk." He sits on my bed ignoring my earlier statement. "Why did you lie to me?."

My eyebrows furrow. "I never lied to you."

"About your family."

"I know, I never lied to you."

"I asked you about your dad."

"Yes you did, you asked if he was dead, and I said that he just didn't live in Lagos, which wasn't a lie, he lives in Abuja."

He lets out a deep chuckle. "Okay, you got me there."

We are both silent for a while before he speaks up again.

"If you had a choice, would you have wanted to go to Lagos?."

"Honestly, no, I wouldn't, I liked it here in Abuja, with my friends."

"But do you like it there?."

"Yeah, I do, even though I know you guys are only friends with me because of Feyi, it feels good to have some people by your side.".

"What?, We are not friends with you because of Feyi, even if Feyi wasn't your cousin, we would still have wanted to be friends with you." He says.

"Call me selfish or anything but I'm super glad you came to Lagos." He smiles.

"Oh, and why is that?."

"Because I got to meet the love of my life."

I laugh. "Do you mean Dami?, Erm, don't you think she's a little too...I don't know, twelve?."

"Don't be silly, you know who I'm talking about." He takes my hand in his making my heart skip a bit.

"Erm, I don't." I let out an uneasy laugh.

"I love you, Dieko, I'm in love with you."

I open my mouth to speak but close it back, is it just me or is it getting hot in here?.

"Did you mean what you said during dinner?."

"W-what did I say?."

He smiles. "You said you liked me."

"Did I?."

"Come on." He chuckles.

"You heard me say it, Timi, why are you naw asking?."

"Because I want to hear it from you again, and this time not by accident because I know you didn't mean to say it that time."

I look down a smile playing on my lips, we're really doing this.

"I like you Timi, I really like you." I whisper.

"Come again?."

I mentally groan. "I like you okay?." My voice is louder this time.

"Good." Is the word he says before smashing his lips into mine.

My first kiss.

O. M. G.

•••••
😂😂😂😂It finally happened guys, the moment we've all been anticipating.

Like seriously...I can't believe they kissed😂

Drop your comments guys, I want to know what you guys think.

Till the next chapter ❤️