Chapter 29

“Come on, Ben!” Lizzie shouted as Ben had fallen behind the group again, mesmerized by the sights of the port city of Split, Croatia, surrounding him. He had been here for a couple of days now and he still couldn’t get over the sheer beauty of the little village. The orange clay tile roofs with the white stucco walls never walled to impress when paired with the tropical surroundings they were built within. 

    Ben turned back towards Lizzie and jogged to catch up with the group. When Ben and Matthew had first landed, Ben was worried how they were going to survive in this city on their own. Thankfully, Lizzie’s classmates had taken a liking to them and let them board in their rooms. Ben still insisted that they not worry about getting them clothes though. Ben would have not let them feed them either, but Lizzie didn’t want Matthew and him to be any thinner than they already were, especially after hearing the story of how Ben almost starved to death at the compound. 

    “We’re just going to leave you behind if you don’t try to keep with the group, Ben,” Lizzie joked. 

    Ben laughed and put his arm around her shoulders. “You wouldn’t dare,” he grinned. 

    “I dare,” Lizzie joked as she ducked away from his arms and ran ahead. “Keep up!” 

    Ben laughed and gave chase. Matthew, who had been standing in the group, chuckled to himself as he watched the two of them tease each other. He looked significantly healthier since Ben and him had been picked up from the island. The crystals had started to reform naturally on their own and his skin looked less ashen than it had before. 

    On the guys from the group, a bulkier guy with shaggy dark brown hair, spoke to Matthew. They had become friends with each other since they had been rescued. His name was Canyon. 

    “Those two are sure hitting it off, huh,” Canyon said to Matthew as he watched them with a smile. 

    “It’s surprising,” Matthew continued. “Ben usually isn’t this outgoing.”

    “Really?” Canyon said with a smirk. 

    “Yeah, I’ve never even seen him interact with a girl without stuttering, let alone initiate the conversation.”

    Canyon laughed. “Lizzie does anyways seem to bring out the best in everyone.”

    Suddenly, Matthew stopped, standing and watching while the rest of the group continued on. There was the one person that Matthew had hoped he would never see again. Lucy was making her way through the crowds, heading towards where Ben and Lizzie were joking around with a determined expression on her face. 

    Snapping out of his trace, Matthew looked at Ben with wide eyes. “Ben!” he shouted as Lucy reached the two of them, hand curled into a fist. “Look out!”

    Ben turned to look at Matthew just in time to get a blow to the face from Lucy. He fell to the ground, hand on his cheek. He looked up at Lucy, confused. She grabbed him by the lapels and lifted him to look her in the eyes. 

    “How did you get off that island,” she spat, words laced with venom. Ben gulped nervously and glanced over at Lizzie. Lucy whipped her head up to look at Lizzie. She threw him back to the ground and stepped over him to where Lizzie was backing away slowly. 

    “It was you, wasn’t it,” she hissed. “You ‘rescued’ him.” 

    Lizzie’s eyes narrowed. “So what if it was me?”

    Lucy laughed. “You don’t realize how much trouble this guy is, do you?”

    “I think the only one here making trouble is you.”