Chapter 25 - Stone Hearts And Hand Grenades

Alaia's POV

I wake up to a quiet room. Nick's side of the bed is empty and cold, it seems he didn't sleep here. I vaguely remember talking to him last night but i don't know if it actually happened or if it was just a dream.

I lean back into the pillows and recall yesterday's events, and Nick's words come crushing down on me, and  I remember crying myself to sleep on the couch.

Just knowing what he thinks of me now, what he thinks of my family, makes the hurt start all over again. I know what dad did, and what i also did in agreeing to marring him and accepting his conditions, is not very honorable, and it's not something i take lightly, or ever thought i would find myself doing in life....but the way he said it, made me feel so insignificant and worthless, immoral and ashamed, and it hurt so much. 

We are not bad people who are greedy for wealth and riches, we just found ourselves in a situation where this felt like the only solution, at the very least i thought he understood, but i was wrong. 

He thinks nothing of us, and especially of me. I need to remember that and guard my heart from any more disappointment from now on.

*

"Hey there, can i come in?" Marco asks from his position at the door an hour or so later.

"Sure"

"How are you doing....? Have you had breakfast yet?"

"Yes" I did, after missing a meal, i was actually really hungry today. Plus i would rather avoid Nick coming in here with another tantrum.

"Great" he responds nonchalantly.

Silence.

I remember Marco was there last night and saw everything, and i just want to hide due to embarrassment. He must think the worst of me and my family too.

"Do you want to do something... I can take you for a walk outside the house, the fresh air will do you good." he breaks the silence.

"Marco, about last night....... "

"Ally, You don't owe me any explanation You don't owe anybody an explanation. Not even Nick. We all know the nature of your relationship" he utters instead.

I sigh 

"I just feel like i need to talk to someone"

"Ok... Shoot..i can listen" he says.

So i tell him about me and Jude.. Our history and what really happened last night. 

But to be honest, Nick was right, Jude kissed me and i didn't stop him fast enough, but when he hugged me, i didn't realise until that moment how much i missed Jude.

But i did not anticipate the amount of guilt i would feel afterwards. As if i had cheated on Nick. Even though he has a girlfriend, i think, i would have liked to be loyal to him, because that's Who i am. But after everything he said, i guess it doesn't matter because he made it clear i mean nothing to him.

*

I was surprised when Zara and Sienna came over later that afternoon. 

Lola and Zara really hit it off. Despite their different up bringings and backgrounds, they formed a fast friendship.

We have lunch by the Gazebo near the garden and it is lovely. 

I still have not heard from Nick and i am beginning to feel more restless as the day goes by.

"So, since Nick is out of town, maybe you guys can stay for a sleep over, what do you think?" Lola suggests to my Sisters. 

Out of town?