Water || The Fire Temple

There's a reason why Aang called it "Crescent Island". It's literally the actual shape, no cut corners, no missing pieces, it's perfectly formed. The terrain was completely made of black, jagged volcanic rocks that peaked at the same height. In the very center of the curve, an active volcano was spewing out smoke and lava poured out of it's mouth, sending veins of red liquid into the calm waves. There were no houses, no towns, just a single temple with two pathways leading straight to it. To get inside, we would have to cross a bridge over the rolling flows of magma, and hopefully not drop anything over the sides.

"That's the island Roku's dragon took me to."

A dark haze floated ahead, and I already was starting to prepare myself for the damage my lungs surely have by this point. We're swimming through ash, and I could hear everyone coughing a bit the closer we got.

I really should make a mask at this point if this is how our journeys are gonna go. I can't wait till I can wash up in a river. I feel like I'm covered with a layer of dirt.

Aang found a small plateau to land on, and it was tucked away by the solidified lava. It looked like it had been stopped mid-flow, ending in rounded spikes that pierce the sky. I grasp my walking stick and slide down Appa's tail, shaking out my legs that got a kinda sore after meditating earlier.

I pat myself off, and little spurts of dust come off my now dull green clothes. Sokka busied himself with dramatically stretching and Momo flew over to one of the dead trees that was off to the side. Katara stood next to me while Aang went to Appa's face to give him a hug.

"You did it, buddy! Nice flying." Appa rolled onto his side and began snoring, telling us that he's exhausted after carrying us all the way here.

Katara pets his stomach, "Oh, you must be tired."

"No, I'm good. Refreshed and ready to fight some firebenders!" Sokka starts doing some high knees, jogging in place with a huge smile on his face. I giggle at his excitement.

"I was talking to Appa."

He stops, and puts his foot back down, his eyes frantically looking for an explanation. "Well, I was talking to Momo," he gestures over to the lemur that was hanging from one of the bare branches.

We start up the long trek to the five-tiered pagoda, my cane tapping against the stone all the way up. It was quite tiresome, causing subtle aching in my calf. I didn't want to make any stops or bother everyone about it, so I kept it to myself.

The air quality wasn't the best, although it feels like someone was controlling the embers to avoid us. We were protected in a little bubble, just out of reach from the grime. Maybe a spirit was watching over us, keeping us out of harms way. The sun was slipping past the mountain tops, creating a brilliant sunset laced with rich golds and soothing pinks. It looked straight out of an elegant painting you'd find in a palace.

When we arrived at the end of the trail, we briskly crouched behind one of the low walls. I scanned over the terrain, searching for any sign of a guard.

The pagoda was even more majestic up close compared to what I could see from the walkway. The base was made up of stairs carved into smooth blackstone. Pillars rimmed with shining gold hold up the horn-like roof that flicked out along the sides, flanking the temple with fake flames. Each storey grew smaller the higher it climbed, engulfed in the same pattern. Golden rails cut into intricate angles lined the painted tiers. At the very top stood the sōrin, a tall rod made out of bronze that glinted in the evening light. The entrance was decorated to make it appear as if you were walking directly into the center of a fire made of shimmering gold and redstone.