Chapter Eighteen: Confesions

Joey called for an emergency friendship meeting the following day. All of us, minus VP Peter, were gathered around the small coffee table at our club room. Joey and I took our place on the couch while the rest were sitting on the carpeted floor. I kept on wringing my hands, too nervous to tell them what the meeting was all about. I had a feeling Robyn had an idea for she was wearing a frown on her face.

Joey cleared her throat. “Andito tayo ngayon kasi may importanteng sasabihin si Alex sa atin. At bilang kaibigan ni Alex, dapat ay bigyan natin ng pagkakataon na pakinggan natin ang sasabihin niya.”

All eyes were on me now. Was I really ready for this? But I had no other choice. I had to get this over with. I took a deep breath and said, “Gusto ko nang itigil yung plano natin na saktan si Benjamin.”

“Sige, bigyan mo ‘ko ng isang magandang rason para itigil na ang plano,” Robyn said impatiently.

“Alam ko naman na para sa ikabubuti yun ng mga ordinaryong estudyante yung ginagawa natin. Oo, gusto kong turuan ng leksyon si Benjamin dahil sa bet nila ng kanyang barkada. Gusto kong mahulog ang loob niya sa akin tapos sasaktan sa bandang huli para malaman niya ang pakiramdam ng nasasaktan at pinaglalaruan. Gusto kong gumanti sa kanya.” I let my eyes scanned the faces of my friends, trying to observed their reactions. “Pero, ang totoo, ayoko na. Hindi ko pala kaya. May gusto na ako kay Benjamin…” I glanced at Joey and she gave me an encouraging nod. “At alam kong gusto na rin niya ako…”

Then I started telling them what Nathan had told me earlier. I received different reactions from my friends. Alicia was happy for me. Madie had a hard time accepting the situation but she said she would give Benjamin a second chance to redeem him self. As for Robyn, well, she did not take it very well, actually. She was still skeptical with Benjamin’s feelings towards me. But she accepted my decision, nevertheless.

I felt good after I let it all out. Telling my friends the truth that I could no longer carry on with our plans for revenge made me feel better. I felt suddenly light and free as air when I finally became true, not only to my friends, but to my self as well.

 I like Benjamin. And that was the truth.

According to Nathan, Benjamin liked me, too.  Knowing the truth made me feel wonderful.

But there was still one deception left. I needed to tell him I knew of their bet. And I needed to tell him the truth about our previous plans. Tomorrow I would have to tell him. But how?

***

Benjamin texted me last night and told me he wanted to tell me something today. I already had a clue as to what he would be telling me: He would be confessing about the bet. Nathan had said that Benjamin was just waiting for the perfect timing to tell it to me, and I guess he chose today to tell me so.

Recess came and there was still no sight of Benjamin. Did he change his mind about confessing to me? I saw Cheska approaching when I was about to head for the cafeteria. And I was surprised that she suddenly grabbed my wrist and tugged me to follow her.

“Teka. Saan mo ‘ko dadalhin?” I asked her.

She stopped on her tracks and faced me. “Sorry, masyado lang akong na-excite, eh. Pinapasundo ka sa akin ni Benj. May gusto kasi siyang sabihin sa ‘yo.” She started walking and I allowed her to lead me.

I suddenly felt nervous –my stomach was churning and my knees were buckling. Benjamin would finally confess about the bet, and I knew the time for my own confession would be now.

From a far, I saw a crowd of students gathered around the school quadrangle. I was puzzled for a moment. Was there a pep rally of some sort?

Cheska pulled my wrist and guided me towards the crowd.