Blood Bond: Chapter 4

Chapter 4

     Diabolus stared into Eleanor’s eyes angrily. Silently, he cursed himself for coming to her tonight.

     Instinct, my ass. He thought.

     He’d lied to himself, telling himself that something had told him to come see her tonight.  The truth was, he’d only looked for an excuse to see her. But why had he wanted to see her after twenty years? He’d been doing fine without her presence; he’d been guilt-free for every ‘evil’ thing he’d done, while when around her, he felt guilty for every little act that she would disapprove of. And now, staring into her eyes, he suddenly felt guilt washing over him.

     But for what?

     “You shouldn’t have made me angry, Eleanor.” He said softly. “You know I hate being upset with you.”

     Eleanor’s eyes narrowed. “Just get off me, Diabolus.”

     He stared at her face for one long moment, and finding no emotion but hate written on her face, he swiftly rose and walked over to the window.

     “You know I love you.” He murmured, before jumping through the window again and vanishing into the night.

 ~~~

     Eleanor curled into a ball on her bed and started to cry.

     I hate you, Diabolus. She thought angrily.

     Why? After so many years, why had he come to her again? Couldn’t he just leave her be? And why did he have to bring a load full of painful memories with him every time he did come?

     He was evil. It was plain and simple. Why did he bother with her then? She was with the Lighters, and so she was his enemy. He hadn’t ever even tried to kill her. Yes, she knew he always said he loved her, but that didn’t make any sense.

     How could anything as evil as him be capable of love?

     And even if he did love her, did he honestly believe that once she heard his proclamation of undying love, she’d forget everything and love him back? Never.

     Eleanor shuddered. “My heart only belongs to Philip.” She whispered to herself.

     Suddenly, she yearned for her Philip, yearned for his touch. How long had it been since she’d been in his arms, embraced with his everlasting love? Too long. Much too long.

     It was all Diabolus’s fault.

     If only her sister hadn’t brought him home as a suitor. If only her sister hadn’t fallen to his charms. If only...

     Eleanor let out a heart-wrenched sob as pieces of old memories started to invade her mind. Philip – the screaming woman … him...the tears – the lies…Gisele laughing…mother and father yelling…her baby – the disappearance…

     Please, no, she cried mentally. She’d closed up all those memories and tossed them to the back of her mind so long ago…she never wanted to relish them again…slowly, she closed her eyes and willed the images in her head to fade away.

     After what seemed like an hour, she finally opened her eyes again. The gruesome memories, thank God, had disappeared right when she’d willed them to. She suddenly felt so tired, but she was afraid to sleep for fear of dreaming of her horrible past.

     She rolled onto the other side of her bed, and glanced up at the small photo frame on her night table. The picture was of her and Trevor, their arms around each other as they grinned boldly at the camera.