Chapter Three

As I let in a big breath to try to calm myself, I walk to my dorm door where a second knock was heard. I put my hand on the handle and opened the door to see Pete, waiting with his arms hugging himself.
"H-Hey Jimmy! Who were you talking to?" He said as he walked passed me and straight for the desk. I didn't let it show but I was terrified that he'd find that letter. He always told me what Gary did to him as all three of us were still the only friends each other had, so I know it's something that changed his character forever if he's holding it to himself. That's why I can't tell him Gary is somewhere in Bullworth County until he's been caught. I shut the door and sat on the edge of my bed, not looking as him. From the corner of my eye I saw him sit at the desk chair.
"No one important." I told him as I looked up to see his head cocked and his facial expression resembled something of curiosity and fear.
"Well, you sounded pretty angry..." He mumbled. I sighed and scratched the back of my head, trying to think of a believable excuse I could say without him looking too much into it. The trouble was I didn't really talk to many people, so there were very few people I could mention to make it believable.
"I found out my mom left me here to move to California. Now that I talked with her I'm actually pretty happy I never get to see her again." I said with a smile. Sadly, lying is like second nature to me. It came so easy; I guess from constantly lying to my mom about certain things to make living conditions at the house bearable. Even though I hated lying to the people I cared about. It may be physically easy but mentally it was exhausting.
"Oh Jimmy...man I don't know what to say." He mumbled as he fiddled with his thumbs. Pete always had an awkward side, extremely shy even with his closest friends. Which I kinda liked about the kid. He was real, always wanted to be included, has love for his friends, and could never turn on you. Even if it's hard for him to express it, I can still see who he is.
"Don't worry about it man, I'm just on edge with everything from me and Zoe getting into a fight to my parents, if I act like a dick I'm sorry man." I slightly chuckled, trying to lift up the mood. I looked at Pete to see him looking at me but in his own thoughts.
"I see you got a new tattoo, she mad about that?" He asked me.
"Something like that, she picked it out actually. Said it resembled the snakes we fought in the Academy." He struck a smile as he remembered everything we went through to get where we are. I looked away and laid on my bed but still had my feet hanging off of the side. I heard him hop off of the desk and grab my phone, along him flipping through my phone book. I jumped up as I sat on the bed watching him.
"Hey dude what are you up-" Before I could finish I heard Pete shush me and held the phone up to his ear.
"Hey, it's Pete....Yea I know that's why I'm calling. Game in 10? Ok...yes the whole crew. Cool Beans!" With that Pete hung up as he turned to me with a big smile. "You still have that bottle of Whiskey?" I was shocked. Pete asking for a bottle? Who did he call? I got up off of my bed and walked to my wardrobe. I opened it and moved the clothes around to find a half bottle of Jim Beam Whiskey. I held it up to him and then looked at it myself. Then it all clicked.
"Pete, the last time I had a drink out of this bottle...you planned a rummy game didn't you?" I told him with a straight face. His smile lightly dropped as he opened the door.
"Come on, the last game we had I've never seen you happier. You need it, so say thank you Petey." He said with a bow. I let out a chuckle as I walked over to him and brought him into a quick hug. It took Pete a minute before he hugged me back. I wasn't the hugging type but Pete was, I had to let him know he was appreciated. I slapped his back a couple times as I put my arm around his shoulders as he walked out of my dorm.
"Thank you Pete." I told him as I let go of him and shut my door. I walked forward to the entrance of the living room. I see Bucky and Cornelius on the couch, watching Dungens and Dragons tournament like all the the Nerds clique do. Gordon and Ivan were playing Future Speed Racer on the arcade. Something about the Non-Cliques and that game were like hand and hand. I cleared my throat pretty loud so everyone in the hall could hear me.
"If you are not a part of the Bullies it might get real loud and smokey in here, you can stay but if you disturb the game in anyway, I'll kick you fuckers out myself!" I yelled. I heard Pete snicker next to me as the boys started to mutter as they slowly left the living room. I walked over to the poker table in the corner of the room next to two windows, I opened both knowing that we were going to be smoking. I put the bottle in the middle as we set up 9 chairs, two for me and Pete and 7 for all the Bullies. Every Friday night after I ruled the Bullies we had a rummy game. Instead of playing for money the loser of the last game would buy liqour for the next week and the loosers of each game would have to take a shot as the winner didn't. We always tried to beat Pete but he never gave in, he'd drink his bean cola if he lost so he still would be apart of the fun. Each night I remember the Bullies and I would go through about 2 packs of smokes all together and half a bottle, something about cowboy killers and cowboy booze that go well with rummy. Starting Rummy Night back up slowly brought the worrying to a stop about Gary. Sure, he was still in there but drinking and being with old buddies will make me forget soon enough.
"Fuckers! Long time no fucking see bring it in!" Davis yelled with his arms wide as he walked towards us, acting as if he didn't just see us an hour before. He brought Pete into a hug and then came to me. Once I let go I saw Trent trailing behind Davis. He hugged Pete with a smile then came over to me and kinda stopped.
"Don't make it awkward shitbird." I told him with a smile as I brought him into a quick hug. He let go and walked to the table. I saw a surprised expression on both Davis and Pete that I hugged Trent. I shrugged my shoulders as I sat in one of the chairs.
"You still got my favorite whiskey Hopkins, right on!" Trent said holding up the bottle. Davis and Trent cheered as Wade, Troy and Tom walked in. They saw the bottle and cheered with the others as Pete and I broke out into laughs.
"I can see they haven't had a drink in awhile." I nodded to agree with Pete with a smile as I got up and gave the rest of them hugs.
"God, I haven't talked to you little shits in months!" I told them looking around. "When are Russel and Ethan coming?" I asked. Tom shrugged his shoulders.
"I wasn't able to get a hold of them, I think they're getting ready for the first day of the semester tomorrow." With that he blew a rassberry and put his thumb down.
"Well they're missing out because the crew is back and starting with a shot before the game, it's the rules if you guys don't remember." Wade said, which was a lie, as each one of them pulled a shot glass out of Troys bag. I forgot I left Me and Pete's glass with them, thank god they brought them. As we put all 7 glasses in a row Wade poured each shot with ease, he was our bartender in the rummy crew because he was the one with the highest tolerance. Trent went to the cola machine to grab all of us chasers. Once they were all poured up and chasers were on the table everyone grabbed a glass but Pete, that one glass was still on the table.
"Oh shit I'm sorry man I forgot you don't drink!" Wade told him. I looked at Pete, as he was staring as the glass then shifted his eyes towards me. He got up and grabbed it as he walked around the table to become part of the circle we made.
"No fucking way really? You don't have to man, don't worry about it." He let out a small smile as he looked at all of us then lastly at me.
"Tonight, we celebrate a man that one year ago became a student at this Academy, brought me great friendships, got rid of the devil himself, and made the fear disappear on campus. To Jimmy for one heck of a ride!" Pete yelled as he held up his glass and everyone followed. That speech made everyone smile as it made me almost teary, however there's no way in hell I'd show it. I didn't really have many friends in the schools I hopped through so it was nice in a way to have these guys. We clinked our glasses as everyone of us threw it down the hatch. Once I knocked mine back I looked at Pete, having a disgusted face as he slowly drank it down. I snickered as I opened one of the colas and put it in his other hand. When he was done he shivered and chugged on the cola I just gave him. We all clapped and cheered as Pete took his very first shot with us after months of refusing. He walked over to the table, not letting his face drop.
"You guys drink that like it's friggin water what the heck! Was I poisoned??" We all started laughing as he picked our seats around the table, opening up our sodas. I sat next to the window as Pete was to the right of me and Trent was to the left. Everyone else sat in front of us. I padded Pete on the back as Tom started shuffling the deck.
"The first is always the worst but today Petey-Boy, you're a man!" Everyone besides Pete and Tom started pounding on the table in support.
"I'm not sure I'll take another but thanks." Pete smiled as he looked to the table. Before I came to this school Pete had one friend and one friend only. That was Gary, however he wasn't really a friend. Pete didn't want to be alone so even though Gary bullied him to the point of almost breaking down, he didn't have to constantly walk around campus to stay occupied.

As I was watching Tom shuffle I heard a lighter spark next to me. I turn to see Trent lighting a Marlboro up. He smiled at me as he handed me his pack. I took it and put one to my lips as I put the pack back on the table. Trent sparked the lighter as he held the flame under my cigarette, lighting it for me. I blew out smoke and he put the lighter on the table. I nodded to him as he smiled at me.
"Dude you gotta say it." Davis said as he slapped Trent shoulder. Trent's smile stopped as he shook his head as he took another drag. I looked at him and shrugged my shoulders, as I knew Davis wasn't going to drop it and make a huge deal out of Trent not saying his infemious joke. Trent's eyebrows raised at me as Tom started dealing.
"Well, I don't let my bitches light their own cigs." He chuckled as I smiled. I missed hearing that, I always thought it was kind of funny. I punched Trent in the back with the hand that wasn't holding the smoke. The impact made his cigarette fall from his lips onto the table. He quickly picked it up so it wouldn't burn the table as he mumbled 'Fuck, fuck'.
"Damn bro, party fowl!" Wade said as Tom finished dealing. Trent looked at me with eyebrows raised as a bright smile was plastered on his face, showing those show stopping white teeth of his.
"You wanna go Hopkins?" He told me followed by a slight laugh. I smiled and shook my head.
"How about this, so you won't make a fool out of yourself, Who ever has the worst cards in the hand between you and me has to take two shot instead of one, how about that pretty boy?" He shrugged as he inhaled the smoke as the cig rested in between his lips.
"You are so fuckin on." As I picked up my cards I looked at everyone at the table that was staring at us.
"What?" I asked as their eyes quickly darted to their cards followed by snickers and 'nothin'.

As time went on in the round Trent, Wade, and I were on our second smoke. Laughing at Tom who could never see three of the same in the discard deck so he was loosing hard, no points to his name. Troy had two pairs down as did Wade, however Pete only had four cards left with two of three of a kind and one, two and a three of hearts. Trent and I were neck and neck, three cards left, more points than anyone else of the table. All I had in my hand was a ace of diamonds, two of diamonds and a four of clubs. All I needed was that three and I'd win so Trent would have to take two shots instead of one. Trent looked at me, then at the discard deck, than lastly at his hand. He sighed and he held a card in his hand, wondering if he should discard.
"James, I swear if you need this we're going at it." He cracked a smile as he put the card I've been needing for two turns. I cracked a chuckle as I looked at him. "No fucking way..." He mumbled as I picked up the three, put my points down, and went out with the club.
"Two shots bitch." I told him as Davis started laughing as he held his fist out as I hit it with mine. Wade and Troy had wide eyes knowing that Trent was pissed.
"God fucking damn it! I got an audition tomorrow after class!" I put my hand on his back and tried to pull it together.
"Don't you think Johnny Depp wasn't fucked up or at least hungover at every audition?" He glared at me, I could tell he wanted to fight. As everyone stood up to take their loosing shots I stood up with them, which made everyone confused. "Man if you're that much of a bitch I won't go back on the deal but I'll do it with you..." As I trailed off as I looked at Pete, counting his points. "...only if Pete does it with us." His eyes bolted up and he quickly shook it back and fourth. Before he could defend himself Trent bolted up and said 'Deal!'

We all had a shot in our hands as we clinked and put it down the hatch. Pete slowly trailing as he choked it down, coughing as he almost ran to his cola. I smiled and told him, "Proud of you Petey, i won't make you do two in a row." He sighed after he gulped down half of his cola.
"Oh thank god I feel like I'm already drunk." We all let out small laughs, Davis came behind Pete and rubbed his hand on his head.
"Proud of ya buddy I could kiss ya!" Then Davis held Petes face with his hands as he kissed his cheek.
"Friggin Davis stop! You touch me like that again I'm leaving!" Pete let out. Davis smiled as he let out a small chuckle as he patted his back and sat back down. I let a sharp breath through my teeth as I turned to Trent. He had finished pouring the shots as he handed one to me. I grabbed it and clinked it with his. As we shot it back,  Trent and my eyes were locked until we finished it. We both slammed it on the table as we high fived.
"You better not become a stranger after this..." He told me as he took a step closer to me. I sighed as I stayed in both of his eyes.
"You know man, I've gotta tell ya-" As I was explaining myself I heard my name being screeched in the hall. Without looking back Trent cocked his head at me.
"Yup, your red devil right? You sure about that one Jim?" He flashed an annoyed look at me as he turned around at Zoe, that was standing at the entry way of the living hall, propping her hip as she had her arms crossed. "Oh where are our manners? Everyone let's greet ole Luci!" Trent said as all the Bullies boo'ed at her, knowing she was here to take me away from the game. I shook my head as I flipped them off as I walked towards Zoe. Oh great here we go again...