Chapter Two: The House Elf's Warning

▪Narrator  

Violet almost shouted out, but contained herself. The small creature on Harry's bed had large ears, a pillow case for a shirt, and bulging green eyes the size of tennis balls. Harry recognized those eyes from hours earlier when they had been attached to a hedge.

No one said a thing as they all stared at each other. "May I take your coats Mr. and Mrs. Mason?" said Dudley, his voice carrying throughout the house.

The creature hopped off of the bed and bowed to the two, as if they were royalty. "Umm...hello" said Harry, unsure of what to say to the small thing. "Violet and Harry Potter! It has always been a dream of mine....never would Dobby have thought... Dobby is so very happy to meet the Potter twins....." "Thank you" said the twins simultaneously. They edged back to Harry's bed and sat down.

"What are you?" asked Harry.

"Who are you?" Violet said quickly, silently scolding Harry for rudeness.

"Dobby, ma'am. I'm Dobby the house-elf" Dobby answered, bowing lower.

"Well...I don't want to come off as rude but I can't really have a house elf in my room, our family doesn't really encourage magical things" said Harry, scratching the back of his head awkwardly. The elf raised his head, only to drop it back down again. "We are pleased to meet you, but why are you here?" asked Violet.

"Oh yes...this is very hard to tell you..Dobby doesn't know where to begin....."

"Sit down," said Harry politely, patting a spot beside him. Dobby instantly begins to crying, "Sit down! Sit down! No...no no no"

Harry and Violet thought they heard the voices downstairs quiet and knew they had to shut the elf up.

"Listen! I didn't mean to offend you or----"

"Offend Dobby!?" Sobbed the elf. "Dobby has never been asked to sit down by a wizard----like an equal and not a servant----"

Violet pulled the sobbing creature onto her lap and tried her best to shush it. Dobby sat there hiccoughing, eyes turning red. "You can't have met many decent wizards if they haven't invited you to sit down" said Harry. Dobby jumped out of Violet's arms and began to bang his small head on the window, hard. "No Dobby! Bad Dobby!"

"Don't do that!"

"What are you doing?!"

Violet immediately pulled him back and checked his head. Earwing and Hedwig had began to go crazy in their cage.

"Dobby had to punish himself, for Dobby almost spoke ill of his family, Dobby---"

"Your family? You have a family?" Harry asked,  surprised.

"Dobby serves a wizard family, sir....Dobby is bound to serve one family forever..."

"Does that family know you're here?" asked Violet curiously.

"Oh no ma'am, Dobby will have to punish himself severely for this! Dobby will shut his ears in the oven. If Dobby's family knew..."

“But won’t they notice if you shut your ears in the oven?” Harry asked. “Oh no sir, they lets Dobby do it sir” Dobby turns to Violet “Sometimes they reminds me to do extra punishments…” “Then escape and run away” Violet whispered. “I cannot leave miss. My family must set me free. If they don’t, Dobby serves them until he dies, ma’am…”

Harry looked sad “I thought I had it bad staying here for a few weeks. This makes the Dursleys sound almost human.” “Can’t anyone help you Dobby? Can’t we?” asked Violet hopefully. She had already grown fond of the little creature.