[ chapter four ]

"What did I miss?" Melanie asks, taking her coat off and throwing it over the arm of the couch as she joins her family around the bar, receiving a call from Allison after only a couple hours of being back at work, telling her there was a family emergency.

"Nothing so far." Diego replies, Melanie giving him a nod as she comes to a stop beside Klaus.

"I've been looking for you." She says to him quietly, a slight hint of annoyance in her voice.

"Oh? Sorry about that, Five and I were doing a bit of brotherly bonding time, but I think I was the only one into it." He explains, pulling a light laugh out of her.

"Well, now we're all here," Luther says, stepping forward and hitting play on the TV that looked nearly as old as everyone in the room.

Klaus silently offers Melanie some of his chips as the siblings gather around the TV, where Melanie looks away as she realises what they're watching.

"Really Luther? I don't wanna see this shit." She frowns, immediately to be hushed by him.

"Look at Grace, she does something to Dad right before he dies." He tells her, Diego jumping to her defense at the uncomfortable change in her body language.

"She doesn't want to watch it, Luther. What's the point of this anyway?" He asks suspiciously.

"It looks like she did something to him."

"Do you really think Mom would do something to hurt Dad?" Vanya asks, stepping around Luther to see the TV more clearly.

"You haven't been home in a long time, Vanya. Maybe you don't know Grace anymore." Luther argues, turning his back on her.

"If he was poisoned," Diego points out, "it would have shown up on the coroner's report."

"Well I don't need a report to tell me what I can see with my own eyes." He fights back, the tension in the room building more by the second.

"Maybe all that low gravity in space messed with your vision." Diego remarks, messing with the TV and rewinding the video, "Look closer."

"Dad has his monocle, Mom stands up, monocle's gone."

"Oh yeah!" Klaus chuckles, Melanie taking another chip out of the bag before walking over to the couch on the right side of the room and sitting down with a huff.

"Great, I left work for a monocle." Melanie comments tiredly.

"She wasn't poisoning him, she was taking it. To clean it." Diego explains, closing the case on the situation.

"Then where is it?" Luther counters. Okay, case still not closed.

"No, I've searched the house, including all her things. She doesn't have it." He continues, Diego looking down at his feet as he lets out a tired sigh.

"That's because... I took it from her. After the funeral."

"You've had the monocle this whole time? What the hell Diego?" Allison asks angrily.

"Give it to me-" Luther demands, before Diego cuts him off.

"I threw it away."

Melanie looks up to Klaus, who rests against the pillar beside her with a frown before looking to Diego.

"Was that why we drove to the docks?" She asks him, to which he replies silently with a nod.

"You what?" Luther questions aggressively, taking a step towards him.

"Look, I knew," Diego replies, pointing one of his knives at Luther, "that if you found it on Mom, you'd lose your shit, just like you're doing right now."