Understanding is Golden

I don' t write much anymore but I thought I'd share this story which I had to write for a Practice Test :P Turned out shorter than I thought haha

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I march into the storage room and slam the door, trying to block out the yelling. He continues to yell but eventually calms down. My legs give way and I fall onto the hard wooded floor. Tears begin streaming down my face uncontrollably. I don’t know why I was crying, I was more furious at that hard headed husband of mine. Yet the tears kept coming. I sucked in a deep breath, somehow getting the tears to stop. As I wipe away any trace of crying with the back of my hand, the sunlight streaming in from the small window lands on something that catches my eye. I slowly crawl over, not having enough energy to stand. I pick up the golden object which had been buried in a box of old photographs of parents.

I hold the object before the sunlight. I blinked a couple of times as my mind figured out the object. It was a golden locket that belonged to my now deceased mother. I open the locked to find an old picture nestled inside. It was of my mum and dad at a young age, before I was born. A memory fills my mind. It was just before my mum passed away when I was 15. She has given me the necklace but I was too young to care. I still remember what she said. “Someday when you’re older, you will understand. You’ll go through tough times but this will help.”

The memory faded and I smiled slightly at the picture. I set the necklace aside, picking up one of the old photos. They were mostly of my happy parents, but one stood out. There was a picture of my mum crying. This reminded me of my situation.

I put the picture away and looked at the necklace I pull out the picture to get a better look. At the back is says “Sammy and Aron, 1989.” A small folded letter falls out from behind the picture. I pick it up and begin reading:

“Dear Sammy,

If you’re reading this then I’ve passed away. I know I’ve been having kimo, but I feel my time is near. I just want to tell you, I know I’ve been stubborn but it’s because I love you. I never meant to hurt you. I know I’m hard headed, please forgive me. If I was you, I wouldn’t still be around. You and Tiffany are the only things keeping me going. I know it’ll be hard without me, but you’re a strong beautiful woman. I know it’s last now, but I’m sorry. I’m sorry for all the fighting and tears. I’m sorry for when I wasn’t there. Please forgive me. I love you and out daughter more than anything. I’ll always be with you.

From the bottom of my heart,

Aron.”

The tears flow down again. I put the letter and picture back in the necklace. Wiping away the tears, I put the golden necklace on.

As I stand up and walk to the door, I look back at the box and touch the necklace. “I know it’s late now, but thank you mum and dad. I finally understand.”