Chapter 27

James's POV

I walked with Riley and Halston up the path. Riley was filming as we walked. Halston was holding my hand, skipping happily beside us. Today was John and Michelle's anniversary. John had asked Riley to come to film, and Riley had asked me to come to help wrangle Halston. We walked to stand behind some bushes, watching the area in front of us, waiting for Michelle and John to arrive. Riley turned the camera, waiting patiently. "I'm gonna make this a mini series on my channel. I'm gonna call it 'The Engagement Series'." She told me. I nodded. Riley was really into her YouTube videos. She put a lot of effort in. She'd taken drone footage, had set up a hidden camera closer to where John and Michelle would be, and was filming from her angle. I'd watched her edit a video yesterday. She spent 6 hours on it. It looked pretty awesome though when it was done. "Remember Halston, you have to be quiet." Riley reminded her. She nodded, watching excitedly. John and Michelle appeared after a few minutes, walking towards the clearing. Riley focussed the camera on them. They talked for a minute, before John got down on one knee. Michelle's hands flew up to cover her mouth as tears sprang to her eyes.
"I never told you this, but the minute I set eyes on you, I knew I loved you. I was too scared to act on that impulse though, until Riley set us up. Michelle, you mean the world to me. You are the reason I am here. I've never loved anyone like I love you. I want to grow old with you. I want to spend the rest of our lives together. Michelle, will you marry me?" John asked. Michelle nodded, tears slipping down her cheeks.
"Yes." She cried, smiling. "Of course I will!" John slipped the ring on her finger as Riley, Halston and I cheered, gaining Michelle's attention. She jumped in surprise, before a smile spread across her face again. "God, you could've told me I was going to be on the Internet." She said, wiping her eyes as we laughed. Michelle sniffled as John stood. Halston ran across the field to give them a big hug.
"Get the camera while you're there!" Riley called to her. Once Halston had finished her hug, she ran back, grabbing the camera as told. Michelle pulled John towards her, connecting their lips. They kissed passionately for a few minutes, before pulling away. "Maybe we should go to that hotel suite you got us and celebrate." Michelle whispered. John smirked, grabbing her hand and leading her towards the hotel behind us. Riley and I chuckled slightly, watching them go.
"Where are they going?" Halston asked, looking confused.
"Um... To do laundry." Riley answered, nodding her head.
"They celebrate by doing laundry? That's weird." Halston stated. I laughed. Riley shook her head at me, an amused smile on her face. The sun was hitting her in the most gorgeous way. It was the golden hour, and the sunlight made her eyes sparkle. I placed my hand on my pocket, thinking about it. I hadn't been sure. Now I was. Riley went to turn the camera off, but I stopped her. I grabbed it, placing it on the ground instead, leaving it recording. She sent me a confused look. I took a breath, before slowly getting down on one knee. Riley's face turned to pure shock. I reached in my pocket, pulling out the box. I opened it, revealing the ring I'd seen Riley eyeing the entire time we were at the jewelry store. She had impeccable taste. 24 karat gold, one big sapphire in the middle, adorned in a halo by small white diamonds. I think she'd been relieved John had vetoed this ring, she would've been jealous watching Michelle walk around with it on her finger.
"The store clerk told me its one of a kind, just like you." I told her. "I lost you when I was 18, and I regretted it everyday. You've only been back in my life for 3 days, but they've been some of the best days of my life. You mean the world to me. I don't ever want to lose you again. Riley Carter, will you marry me?" I asked her. Halston was standing quietly by her mother's side, watching with a huge smile on her face.
"I live in LA." Riley stated.
"I'll move to be with you." I responded quickly. She shook her head.
"No. I'm moving back here to be close to my family and friends." She smiled. "I will marry you." She told me. My heart jumped out of my chest. I took the ring out of the box, slipping it on her finger before standing up and pulling her against me. I connected our lips, kissing her roughly and holding her as close to me as possible. Riley moaned softly against my lips, placing her hands on my chest.
"Ew!" Halston exclaimed. Riley and I pulled away, laughing as we glanced at our daughter, who was covering her eyes.
"We're done now." Riley assured her. She dropped her hands, smiling at us.
"I'm hungry. Can we get dinner now?" Halston asked.
"Yeah let's go." I replied, grabbing the camera and wrapping my arm around Riley's waist as we walked to the car. Riley turned the camera off, watching Halston happily run ahead of us. Then she leaned towards my ear, smirking as she whispered,
"We'll have to take another shower tonight to celebrate." I chuckled, letting my hand trail down to her butt, giving it a squeeze.
"I guess so." I replied as we arrived at the car.