Chapter One

The screams he had heard he knew belonged to no creature of the jungle. He could tell that immediately as he started in the direction the sound came from. Something out there needed his help... He was about to shoot off into the brush, when he felt a large hand land on his shoulder.

"Tarzan," a soft voice said from behind him, "Don't. We don't know what it is..." Tarzan looked over his tan shoulder to see his mother standing there, her soft eyes delving deep into his. He wanted to argue with his mother, but instead he just nodded as the cries continued on and on. Climbing into a tree to race above his family on the various branches, he continued to listen to the cries of the creature. He wanted to go to it, but if he did he would be disobeying his mother. And that would only make the leader of the pack- basically Tarzan's father if he actually accepted Tarzan as his son- angrier with him. He looked round to see his family lumbering along and in the front was the largest of them, with black hair covering his body and a silver diamond over his back. Kerchak. At that moment, Kerchak looked up to see Tarzan looking down at him and sneered at the annoying boy. Tarzan looked back ahead, keeping an ear out for the cries.

"We will nest here for the night," Kechak announced as they came upon a somewhat clearing. The sun was setting so it was about time they started to make nests. Tarzan jumped from his spot in the trees to land beside his mother, who was already beginning to make her nest with vines and leaves that hung down within her reach.

Tarzan looked around as he heard another louder cry come from the way of the beach.

"Tarzan," his mother called him back to where he was, "You mustn't wander off tonight. The scent here is off and I do believe Sabor is lurking nearby..." Tarzan made no attempt to respond, but instead ran a hand through the thick light brown hair on his mother's neck, before nuzzling the spot affectionately. He didn't want a run in with Sabor, the leopard that preyed on younger members of the pack. It would be very unwise to wander off if that thing was lurking close, but what about the crying and screaming creature? What if Sabor went after it? Tarzan's mother laid down in the nest she had made and Tarzan climbed beside her, focusing on the screams that were becoming dimmer as it became darker.

Most of the pack was asleep when the crying cut off completely. Tarzan, however was not. He leapt up, suddenly afraid that Sabor may have found the creature. He climbed up into the nearest tree and took off, hoping his mother had not been awoken when he left.

Jumping from tree to tree, swinging on vines, and running across long branches it didn't take Tarzan long to reach where he was going. He found himself on the line of trees that went along a sandy beach that led into a deep pool of water that stretched as far as one could see. Looking out from the foliage, Tarzan could see a small body lying in the sand . Alarmed and afraid the creature might be hurt, he rushed out onto the sand and came to stand behind the body. He prodded it once with his hand and it stirred, then turned so he could see it's pale, hairless face. This creature looked very much like himself, except for it was smaller and more feminine and with brighter hair. It looked scared as it gazed to him.

"Who are you?" Tarzan asked, but to Lily, it sounded as if he was saying 'oooo-oo ahh.'  She had never heard such words before, but she wasn't very much listening anyway. She was taking in his face. This man seemed familiar to her with his young tanned face, green eyes, and brown hair. She couldn't place it for a moment, then it came to her. She had seen him once in a painting her brother had when she was very young. This man- though his hair was much longer- looked remarkably like her father. It was impossible for Tarzan to be her father of course considering he had never even met another person in his remembered life and because of the fact Lily's father had died when she was very young. But Lily was still a child and she had already convinced herself that this was her father. "Who are you?" Tarzan asked once more, pointing to Lily. Lily tilted her head to the side a bit, then pointed to herself. Tarzan nodded, then pointed to himself.

"Tarzan," he said in his tongue.

"Tarzan," Lily mimicked. She could tell that was his name and when he pointed back to her she knew he wanted her name. Lily bit her lip softly, then looked to the tree line where she could see some flowers popping up. She saw none that looked like a lily for which she was named after so she shook her head. Tarzan frowned. Did the creature have no name? If so he would just have to give her one.

"Ara," he said as he pointed to her. The creature mimicked again, understanding this was to be her title. Tarzan smiled, then, looking to the sky, decided they needed to get back to the cover of the jungle. It seemed a storm could be moving in.

He waved to the small creature, signaling for her to come as he moved toward the tree line. However, it didn't seem to know how to move about as it tried in vain to stand on its back legs. However, one seemed weak and so the creature collapsed into the sand. Tarzan looked to the sky. The storm would be there soon and he had no time to teach the creature a way to walk.. He would have to carry it. Tarzan quickly went toward the collapsed creature, grabbed one of its front legs, and tugged it onto his back. Thankfully, the creature didn't put up protest, but instead understood clearly and wrapped it's front legs around his neck.

Tarzan walked through the jungle on ground, unable to jump through trees in fear the already slipping creature would fall. Of course, the rain did begin to fall and a storm did begin to rage beyond the leaves. The bangs and clashes from the sky seemed to upset the creature, sadly, for it began to whimper and cower.

"Don't be afraid," Tarzan said softly, though he knew the thing wouldn't understand him. The storm was getting progressively worse, the rain falling through the leaves hard as if new waterfalls were forming and the clashes growing as loud as a herd of elephants trumpeting. The creature was shaking against Tarzan's back, but he couldn't tell if it was from the cold rain or the frightening crashes. Either way though, Tarzan decided that perhaps stopping for the night would be best. There was no way he would find his way back to the pack that night anyway. The scent was completely lost.

It was easy for Tarzan to find a dry spot inside a small cave for himself and the creature, and so he decided that was where they would settle. When the creature understood they were stopping, it fell off Tarzan's back and settled itself against the cold rock side of the cave.

"Zachariah," it mumbled sadly. Tarzan frowned. What was a 'Zachariah'?

"Zachariah?" Tarzan asked. The word was strange; he didn't like it. The creature shook its head sadly. Tarzan sighed, then called to the creature. "Ara," he said, motioning for the creature to come closer. It seemed to understand as it did come closer. Tarzan nodded, and the creature moved a bit closer. It pointed to itself.

"Ara," it said. Tarzan smiled and nodded before pulling Ara to him. He laid them both down. Within moments, Ara was fast asleep, and soon Tarzan followed suit.