Chapter 4

"I totally blew things with him," I said, opening the apartment door, "I just can't keep my big mouth shut." I sighed as Nicky, Dad and I set the take-out on the dining room table.

"Well, Emma," Dad said, "Maybe it just wasn't meant to be."

"Seriously, Dad. That's all you have to say? Everyone already knew that."

He shrugged and set the keys on the table.

"So they're gone?" Nicky asked, searching through the bags, "There's nothing you can do?" I pulled out a chair and sat down to help him get the food out.

"I wish there was, man. I'm telling ya, I tried everything. I talked to McPhee; I called the board. But they shipped them out this morning."

"This is a lot of food, Dad," said Nicky as we set the table.

"Yeah, uh.. Ed from work's gonna come by," Dad said, getting the plates out of the pantry, "I thought I told you? We're just gonna go over a couple work things."

"So, you're working tonight?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"I used to work every night, remember?" Dad said in defense.

"Yeah, that was like, when you had the coolest job in the world!" Nicky replied as the phone rang.

"Yeah, well, cool doesn't pay for your Guitar God 6 or whatever," Dad says as he made his way to answer the phone.

"Hello?" He said, putting the phone on speaker.

A familiar voice came through the machine. "Gigantor!" It was Jed, "It's me! Jedediah!" In the background, I could hear fighting.

"Jed?" Dad mumbled, "Jed, why did- how did you dial the phone?"

"Long story," Jed replied in a panic, "That crazy little monkey stole the tablet, and now we're in a world of hurt, boy!"

"What's going on?" asked Dad. He sounded genuinely concerned. I stopped what I was doing to hear what the cowboy had to say.

"Kahmunrah!" He shouted into the phone

"Kahmunrah?" Dad said, confused.

"Ahkmenrah's big brother! He's here! And trust me, not a friendly. I repeat: not a friendly!"

"Is that Attila?" Dad shouted back, "Jed?" He picked up the phone and quickly placed it to his ear, "Jed? Are you okay? Hey, Jed! Jed?"

He took the phone away from his ear. "What was that about?" I asked

I looked at Nicky. He looked worried and confused. I think we all were.

"I dunno," Dad muttered. He signaled Nicky to come with him, "Here, come on. I'm gonna drop you off at your mom's."

"What's going on Dad?" Nicky asked, following Dad out the door.

"Your sister and I are gonna go find out."

_______________________________

Dad and I practically sprinted through the airport. I was on the phone with Nick.

"Okay," I said, "The Federal Archives are in the Smithsonian. Where exactly are we going?"

"That's the thing, Em," Nicky replied, "The Smithsonian is actually nineteen different museums. They're laid out around the National Mall. From the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial. They got everything in there. There's actually some pretty cool stuff."

"Nicky. Please focus," I pleaded, "Which museum are the Archives in?"

"Not in," he said, "Under. It looks like It runs underneath the entire Smithsonian."

"So.. If Ahkmenrah's tablet is down there-"

"The biggest museum in the world is coming to life."

"Okay," I said, worried, "I'll call you when I'm in." I hung up and handed the phone to Dad, who was very focused on getting to our gate.

"What exactly is your plan here, Dad?" I asked

"Don't worry about it," he replied.

"You don't have a plan, do you?"

"No. Emma, I have a very good, highly thought out plan."

"You have no plan."

"Yes. I have no plan. But we'll manage."