Chapter One: Welcome

Nikki looked at the imposing iron gates with growing suspicion. They shimmered in the sun, and were so high and thick that they might as well be reaching the sun. She didn't think that gates like that actually existed outside of movies- none that she'd actually get to see in person anyway. Her mouth formed an 'O' as her head tilted up; her eyes stayed glued to the emblem at the top. It was a wolf howling, of course, and the letters 'J' and 'W' were at the top. If Nicole didn't hate wolves- it would be actually cool looking. It practically reeked of prestige.

" Welcome to James Wood Nicole; we hope you'll find this a second home," The man sent to welcome her was big and burly. He had light brown hair that was almost and inch tall, and a scar on the side of his eye. It was as if they wanted to enforce every stereotype that was associated with this school.  

She bit back the automatic 'It's Nikki.'

Nikki didn't respond for multiple reasons. First, she was upset with her grandmother for sending her here. This was a military academy. Nikki couldn't even do a chin-up. How could her grandmother expect her 'to thrive' here? Second, well, the guy scared her. A lot.

The gates didn't even creak when they opened. They did it slowly; probably because if you were standing anywhere near them, they'd probably knock you out cold. I mean they looked heavy, like really heavy.

The walkway was straight, concrete and cut through the grass at the entrance of the school. It stopped at a stone fountain that seemed to crown the yard. The fountain itself was a wolf; it looked crouched and prepared to pounce. The grass surrounding the concrete reminded Nikki of the tour guide's haircut: clean, precise, and probably exactly regulation length.

He didn't even take notice as he passed the fountain. Nikki started to notice people then, though technically they weren't 'people'. They all looked muscular and trained. At least the school was co-ed, Nikki didn't think she could handle going to school with all females. She'd definitely murder someone then.

Plus, all the guys are ripped here. Even as she tried, Nicole couldn't find a way to keep herself mad and gloomy as she'd promised. It just wasn't in her nature. Giving the tour guide the silent treatment was easy enough; she was pretty sure she wouldn't talk even if she'd promised herself she wouldn't. If a totally non-scary guy came up talking to her, where would her resistance go?

Not that the tour guide wasn't easy on the eyes. She'd tried not to notice his just how strong he was. It just wasn't practical. He had to be what, twenty? That'd be a solid four years older than her.

" Mr. Burke wanted me to explain the rules here-" he turned around and looking at her, disapproving, clearly noticing her unresponsive behavior. 

He paused, probably waiting for some kind answer, or something to signal she'd heard him. Nikki just studied the cement. She was being rude she knew, but she couldn't help herself. She hated this.

" You need permission to leave campus on weekdays, but weekends are free," his voice was still harsh, but it went a little lighter towards the end. That'd was probably the lightest it went.

He went a little stiffer as she still ignored him, " Your classes and room number can be picked up in the main office, which is in this building behind me. Female dormitories are behind the Training Area."

She was tempted to ask 'and where's the Training Area?" Her pride stopped her though; she'd find it eventually.

His voice was perfectly even as he muttered the last part, " Oh, and of course, shifting should be supervised by an experienced werewolf- we don't want any out of control wolves."

He'd said it now. He reminded her why she was here, but more importantly, why she didn't want to be here. She'd been raised like a human; her werewolf abilities untouched. Nikki knew this school would kick her around until her practically threw up some sort of wolf behavior. Did her grandma even care that she didn't want to be a werewolf? That she just wanted to be normal?

She finally noticed that he'd walked away. Nikki just rolled her eyes as she scampered up the marble steps leading to an important looking building. She was still a little nervous- it was her first day.

Nikki ended up having to walk up the stairs bitterly, a frown on her face as she burst open the heavy oak doors; her original plan to slink in had been abandoned.

The inside was just as boring as the outside though, and no one seemed to notice her somewhat dramatic entrance. Nikki was still in an angry mood though, so as she scanned the doors, she found the one that pronounced 'Main Office' in black engraved letters, and swiftly marched her way there. She burst through that door too.

She saw a glass desk with only a vase with flowers in it and a sleek black laptop. The woman sitting in front of it had medium brown hair- only a little grayer than her own- tucked into a bun where her hair seemed to be gelled to prevent any hair from escaping. There were wrinkles on her face, but her arms seemed muscular from where Nikki saw her typing.

" Uh, excuse me?" Nikki's voice came out a little hesitantly. Everyone here was scary. Of course, this was a werewolf military school, what else could she expect?

" Nicole Victoria Keller?" She glanced up at me quickly; as shiver ran through Nikki unexpectedly.

As promised, Nikki got her schedule, room number, and the promise that her uniform was in her room. She also got directions to the female dormitories. As she exited the Main Office, she took a deep breath. She could do this. She could so do this.

 ------

I know it's prob nnot good but it's my first story evah!! Tell meh if ya think i should continue?!