White Lies- Series 1- Episode 1

A series about journalism, litigation and how it affects the ordinary people working within these two very different, but similiar worlds

The case opens

Katie walked out of the elevator and entered the busy office. She had been working as and investigative journalist for 3 years and she was only starting to get used to there way of life. A lot of people don’t see these people for what they are but she was working on the inside and she would tell you that they are ruthless, blood sucking animals that would clean any story they came across completely dry.

    She shook one of her co-workers hands as they walked by, that guy had scrutinised a senile old man who wanted to celebrate Christmas by giving everyone in his neighbourhood a present, He soon became even more famous than the jolly old man he dressed up as when he was put away for breaking and entering multiple times. Katie didn’t like the people she worked with but she couldn’t say that she was any better.

   She walked through the big glass doors and into the office. There, sat smoking a cigarette was the man in charge. Bill Newman. Bill was a big name in the business and had been doing his job for nearly 40 years, he was good at it, very good. Some say the best but Katie wasn’t really convinced, he was famous for multiple new stories he had done over the years and he was now the head journalist on London  network  news.

  Bill wore an old cigarette stained suit and had a thin pair of glasses. He was near retirement age and his face was now starting to show it. There was dark circles under his eyes and his once full head of hair had turned thin and grey.

   “Katie, right?” he asked as she entered his office.

“Yes sir”. She replied, throwing a folder on the table. “That’s all the information I could gather on the home invasion, its not much but the husbands story checks out”. She explained, Katie had been trying to get some kind of praise from her boss for years but she of all people knew that with Bill Newman it takes a lot to stand out from the rest of the pack.

   He nodded and threw the paper on the floor. “Its crap, there isn’t anything in here that we can use for this story”. Bill put out his cigarette. “ can you give me another couple of days, maybe there’s something I missed”. She asked hopefully.

  “Two more days, if you cant find anything by Friday. Don’t bother coming in on Monday”

Meanwhile at Clemmings and Co

Andrea Clemmings was slumply packing away her old work into a box, after 20 years as a young rising litigator and 5 years of running her own firm. Clemmings and Co, she had just been fired. The clients had decided that they wanted her No2 Harry Jones to take the reins and replace her after she headed a rocky deposition a few weeks ago, over the past few months she had become tired and sick of being in charge, the hard treacherous waters of trail preparations had finally taken its tole.

   Harry awkwardly entered her office as she was clearing out her draw. “I just want you to know that there’s no hard feelings between us”. He apologised. Harry had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer last year and has been the golden boy ever since, he went through months of chemotherapy but the doctors last week confirmed that he had recovered and all previous signs of cancer were gone. He had thin blonde hair and was of a bulky build, harry was always to trustworthy for her liking and in his line of work that could mean trouble.

  Andrea nodded. “Speak for yourself Harry” she replied pushing him out of her way. Harry walked in and sat proudly in his new office. He thought, this was the beginning of something new.

Later that night outside Bills house

Bill strolled towards his apartment cautiously, he looked back to see if anyone was following him. The warning he had received earlier in his office was getting to his head but he knew that it was coming. He opened the folder in his hands and threw the reports in the bin. if he was lucky the binman was collect the garbage before anyone else would have a chance to discover those files. He grabbed a pack of cigarettes he had bought on the way home and lifted up his shaking hand.