Chapter 10

Eve wakes up in darkness.

She gasps and quickly sits upright, momentarily forgetting where she was, alarmed at waking up somewhere unfamiliar. Then she remembers as the cool air hits her bare chest.

She'd stayed the night with Chris last night. She'd stayed the night with Chris last night. What would happen if Paul were to discover her gone in the morning? What lie could she possibly come up with to save her ass from getting another horrific beating? Eve knew that she had to get out of there somehow, but it almost seemed impossible. She felt so trapped...

Eve didn't know what time it was; the thick blackout curtains in Chris's bedroom made the room dark no matter what time of day it was. Eve feels a hand gently grasp onto hers.

"You okay, baby?" She hears Chris ask, softly.

Eve exhales, "Yeah," She says, "Just...had a bad dream."

"Awww, c'mere."

Eve gives a small smile, then lays back down facing Chris; she was just barely able to make out his form in the darkness. She nuzzles herself into his chest as Chris wraps his arms around her and holds her tightly. He lightly strokes her hair and kisses her forehead.

"I've got you. You're safe with me, okay?"

Eve nods. She believed him.

x

Eve wakes up a few hours later in the same darkness, only this time she could just barely make out a small slit of sunlight peaking out from behind the curtains.

Eve then feels a light kiss on her shoulder behind her and she smiles, "Good morning," She whispers.

"Good morning," Chris repeats, "Happy New Year."

Eve gives a small laugh, "Happy New Year."

Chris leaves a trail of kisses all along her shoulder, neck and eventually her ear. He gives a small hum, then nuzzles himself into her neck.

"Did you end up sleeping okay?"

Eve nods, "Yeah, I did," She says, "What time is it?"

"I checked a few minutes ago and it was around 9:30."

Eve sighs, "So the morning came after all. I was hoping last night wouldn't end."

"Well, there will be many more nights like that to come."

Eve musters a smile and nods.

"Hey, I know you're scared, but we'll figure this out," Chris continues.

"I know, and thank you. I just have to survive until the offices at school open up again."

"So are you just gonna be as much of a fake goodie-goodie around your dad as you can until then?"

"I guess so."

"I swear to God, if he lays a finger on you - "

"I'll let you know if I don't feel safe," Eve cuts Chris off.

"Promise?" Chris asks, "I need you to be honest with me about this stuff."

Eve nods, "I promise."

x

It was a weird mix of emotions being both terrified and on cloud nine. On the one hand, Eve had no idea what her future with her father or with Chris would hold, and she was extremely scared to find out. All she knew was that she had to get out and away from Paul as soon as humanly possible. On the other hand, Eve now had someone as amazing as Chris that wanted to help her. Eve still wasn't quite sure what the nature of their relationship was yet, but the fact that he clearly cared about her very deeply - and the fact that he could make her orgasm - filled Eve's stomach with butterflies.