Covert Coffee Chapter 27

27

“It’s time to face the nation,” said President Ann Kinji. “I have a lot of explaining to do, but I’ll let my gifted people do all of that background. What I need to do is reassure America that I’m still effectively leading this country, all while also telling them that I’ve lost control of the presidency.”

“Were you ever really in control of the presidency? Has anyone been?” asked Serena. “I’m not being facetious. You aren’t Queen Kinji or Madam Dictator Kinji. Last I knew, this was still America and you are but one person in a body of government. Throughout history American presidents have had strained relationships with their government family. This is nothing new, and that’s what you need to tell yourself.”

“No American president has ever had this situation.”

“I imagine the Civil War days were dicey. President Ann, I know it feels unprecedented, but is anything on this Earth ever really ‘new’?”

“I hear what you are saying. So what did past presidents do?”

Serena strode swiftly across the room to her dear friend and President of the United States and gave her a strong bear hug; one squeeze and a quick release. “They gave American people hope for the future.” Serena dug her digi pen out of her purse and began scribbling away.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m looking up a quote. And I found it already!” She selected speaker mode on the digi and a female voice said, “President Abraham Lincoln, July 28, 1862, ‘I shall not do more than I can, and I shall do all I can to save the government, which is my sworn duty as well as my personal inclination. I shall do nothing in malice.’ See? You aren’t the only president to feel that government needed saving. And yet here we are, you and me, standing on top of the presidential seal.”

“I don’t suppose I can plagiarize what the American greats have said?”

“You’ll figure it out. It wouldn’t hurt to mention the name of God.”

“Religion and politics don’t mix.”

“Religion and politics are always conjoined. Trying to separate the two gives us a fractured nation; one half without a heart and the other without a brain.”

Ann laughed. “Well I certainly can’t say that!”

“I look forward to hearing your speech. I’m so honored when you bounce things off of me, but you never need anyone’s help as far as I can see.”

“You don’t follow politics and you haven’t stayed current with government issues.”

“Ouch.”

“I like the fresh perspective. If I were to strip away the insular world of The Cube, what would the United States look like?” Ann opened her arms in sweeping gesture.

“I’m an independent and an idealist. Everyone has their bias.”

“Independent thinking and idealism – we need more of that. You help me a great deal.” President Kinji held the door open for Serena, the only cue that their conversation was over.

Serena squeezed her arm as she walked past the door. “God bless you.”

Ann’s expression softened and, to her own surprise, her eyes misted.

As Serena was escorted down the long corridor by two agents she called over her shoulder, “His name means something, doesn’t it?”

Ann waved and closed her door. In two hours she would be addressing the nation. Her speech would make history books, one way or another. This was one of those rare open windows in time, in which one person’s voice held the attention of the entire world. What would she do with that power, that awesome responsibility? Thoughts tumbled inside her mind, none of them productive or fruitful. She couldn’t grasp hold of anything that felt right. She bit the tops off of three erasers before she was aware of what she was doing. Not knowing what to do, she found herself praying.