Awake

Shadow's p.o.v

"What do you mean she's awake?" I gasp with a puzzled frown.

Jay sighs, tiredly. "I mean... She woke up. Bea woke up from her coma."

"Bu...but in the phone call-"

Jay cuts me off with another exasperated sigh. "Yes I know what it sounded like in the phone call. I tried to explain to River but the line suddenly went dead. I tried to call again and again but I couldn't get through."

I stare at him in shock.

Bea. She's okay.

I kept my promise.

After River had a screaming match with the nurse, she seemed to loose her fight and she passed out in my arms so the doctors took her for examination. Shit, I was more worried about her than anything in that one moment. Those doctors just left me, and whisked River way in a flurry. Luckily, they said it was from exhaustion and anxiety, and that she should be awake in few hours.

Bea's family heard the commotion and came outside to see what had happened. They all seemed so... normal.That's what confused me first. I expected them to have red rimmed eyes and look like borderline hysterical - I mean, their only daughter had just passed away. So I knew something was up.

"You can go and see her if you want, my parents and I are going down to talk to the doctor, they're going to tell us when Bea can leave the hospital." Jay offers, with a kind smile. I feel almost guilty at how kind he is being to me when it is partially my fault he and his family are here.

I fall out of my surprised daze and nod. "Yeah, I... I'll do that."

I turn to enter the room but then Jay stops me, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"Hey..um Shadow. I'm sorry, you know, for the fights and everything." He lets go of me and scratches the back of his neck awkwardly.

"I'm sorry too." I simply shrug.

What else can I say? I can't thank him, we were both at fault. It wasn't purely me or him. And it was in the past, nothing we say or do will change that.

He smiles sheepishly, but I can still see the happiness in his face, now that Bea is awake. I wait until he walks back to the lift. Then I take a deep breath and enter the room.

Bea is sleeping on the bed, her face looks much more healthier; they probably gave her some solid food when she woke up. She looks... more alive. It is almost as if the will to live has given her some sort of power and energy. I smile at her slightly, I can't wait until River comes to see her. Maybe some of Bea's hope will transfer on to her, she needs it.

I collapse into the chair next to her bed and yawn tiredly, stretching my long limbs out. I haven't had any sleep for ages, what with the camping and long drives.

Suddenly, Bea stirs and her eyes flutter open. They dart around, bright and alert, bringing her to her senses. I can imagine that it is still odd for her to wake up in a hospital ward so often.

"Where is everyone?" She asks worriedly, clearly searching for her family.

"They went to see the doctor, don't worry, they'll be back soon." I reassure her. She seems to relax when I tell her, and she sighs in relief.

"Um... I recognise you, who are you?" She says with a perplexed expression. Ah, this will be hard to explain.

How exactly does one explain to a recently comatose girl that he is part of the reason she was in a coma in the first place, and that you have since her accident fallen in love with her best friend?