Re-Write of the Greek story of Prometheus

'The course of true love never did run smooth. ~William Shakespeare’

Prometheus- A re-write

            Prometheus watched the small cave with interest. Watching his creations shudder as his nephew racked the sky and Earth with violent strikes of light and tremors of booming thunder. Within a breath, the sky cleared and silence settled to the plateaued area.  Prometheus thanked Zeus in his head and watched as the humans crept from the small shelter. He inhaled a sharp breath as one walked out gracefully. Her eyes were as blue as the deepest sea, her skin was as pale as the moon. She looked around, her dark windblown curls that much resembled the starless night sky, swayed in the slight breeze. Prometheus felt his jaw drop as his heart filled with warmth and his mind tried to fathom how he could have created something so beautiful

            “It is as if I have been struck in the heart by an arrow of Eros.” He said in a whisper voice, one that delivered the wise words that brought Cronus down. He saw the girl shiver, saw her body quiver from the chill, saw her lovely face turn upwards and thank the god of the sky for the slight warmth of the sun. The titan felt his heart cry out at her suffering, at how she was fated to live, a miserable life of fear and hunger and constant chill. He then did something that he shouldn’t have done. He walked up to the girl. His steps had a godly grace and his face was a beautiful one, one that would stun any woman with its beauty. The girl saw him and her mouth formed a round shape of shock and astonishment. He smiled at her, a motion she copied. He watched as her lips stretched into a joyful, beautiful, and polite expression, she had an indent at each end of her smile, only visible when her lips moved or stretched into a grin.

            “What is your name?” He asked in a gentle voice.

            “M-my name is Astrea my god.” She said softly. He thought it was a suitable name. She was an innocent person, it was fitting she was named after this trait.

            “I am not a god Astrea.” He said, noticing the confusion that was clear in her blue eyes. “I am a titan, the titan of wisdom.” He said and her face awoke with sudden realization.

            “You are Prometheus.” She said quietly and he smiled at her and nodded, he frowned faintly as he saw a small tremor go over her body, when she shivered.

            “I must go now.” He said and she nodded

            “I understand my titan.” She said, her voice sweet and soft. He smiled softly and walked away from the girl named after innocence with a plan in his mind. He walked to Olympus and greeted his nephew.

            “Hello uncle!” He said with a smile on his face, when he saw the Titan’s expression he sobered. “What is troubling you?” Zeus said.

            “My humans are cold. They eat raw meat and fear the night.” He said and the king of the gods nodded.

            “I understand uncle, you have helped me take down my father but I cannot give your silly creatures fire. They will believe that they are a god and become arrogant and foolish.” Zeus said curtly, as if he were discussing an affair that was commonplace.

            “Those silly creatures of mine worship you. They provide the praise that you think that you deserve. And without flame and warmth you will feel less than you do now because they shall die. And then there will be no one to help give you an excuse to be so egotistical!” Prometheus yelled and the god’s eyes hardened.

            “Leave, at once.” Zeus demanded and the Titan stormed out in a flurry of rage and fury. He went to his palace on Olympus and waited till all was silent and still except for the soft inhales and exhales of the gods. He took a small torch and took part of the flame of Olympus and carried it to the cave. He was unaware of Zeus watching as he showed his humans how to use and create the fire. He was unaware that Zeus saw as he lovingly kissed the girl’s cheek during a tender moment of dim silver star and dancing golden flame. After he showed his creations how to use the fire he went back to Olympus.

            “Hello uncle.” Zeus said in a grim voice. Prometheus turned to face Zeus, his face paled.

            “Hello nephew.” He replied in a shaky voice. He knew the god had seen him and he knew what he did was very, very unwise.

            “HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT ME!” Zeus yelled, his voice booming. The titan winced and walked out with a lowered head and shame filled eyes. The next day he was tied to a large stone, and each day his heart was eaten by a Eagle, his punishment for so weakly giving it away. But then everyday Astrea would come. Over time Prometheus noticed her belly growing and asked why.

            “I am bearing the child of Zeus.” She said, that and nothing more. That did not stop Prometheus from loving the girl however and he knew that Astrea loved him. One day when she came up to the boulder he saw a small swaddled bundle in her arms. He noticed the dark bags under her eyes from exhaustion and how her step was slower and with less grace then usual.

            “Astrea, what is wrong my love?” He asks but she looks up and smiles.

            “Nothing Prometheus, I have given birth and my son and I shall become immortal for it is the will of Zeus.” She said and at that moment Zeus walked down the mountain and to Astrea and the baby. He held out a cup to her and she took a drink before the baby did. The baby began to grow and was soon a handsome young boy as the woman became something more beautiful than before and she glowed with a radiance to blind the gods.

            “Prometheus, you must learn. Your son and beloved are now immortal and will not die but will suffer the heat and depressive nature of Tartarus.” He said and as the name of the horrible place was muttered the ground split and the moans of souls desperate to get out sounded.

            “NO!” Prometheus yelled and struggled against his ties, but he couldn’t break them and watched as his child and love fell. He went slack against the ropes that bound him and the abyss closed as he weeped angry and sad tears of anguish.

            “This is what happens when you are unwise uncle.” Zeus said and walked away, leaving Prometheus to have his aching heart taken out by the eagle.