10: The rent? He spent it

"I guess I'm an actual model now," Dakota said beaming

"I guess I'm an actual model now," Dakota said beaming. She fanned herself dramatically, as if just the thought of her actually being signed to an agency was such a surprise to her. It really wasn't.

"Congrats, Dakota," Colin said leaning back in the dining chair he was sitting in. "That's amazing."

"Totally! And it's all thanks to you, Mitchell. The pictures were gorgeous. I wish I could thank you some other way."

"You already did with that tip. It's fine."

After repeatedly expressing the gladness she felt by tugging on Colin's hand and squealing, Dakota left. After helping herself to the breakfast Colin had been eating.

"Your friend's so freaking hot," Peter said under his breath as soon as the door had shut.

Colin had almost forgotten that Peter had also been in the room when Dakota was there. He hadn't spoken a word since the time they had begun their slow walk of shame into the apartment. He just lay in one of the couches in the living room, doing God knows what.

"And smart enough to stay away from guys that call her hot," Colin commented.

Peter sucked in a breath, regretting ever opening his mouth to speak. "I didn't mean it like that."

"Of course you didn't." Looking over his shoulder, Colin spotted Peter on his back, hands encasing an object. It was a brand new phone.

"You got a new phone already?"

"Yup." Peter lifted the iPhone up for Colin to see before his hand went back down.

"That's cool. I assume you've unpacked by now so can we talk about the rental agreement?"

"Go ahead."

Colin concurred, going ahead. Clearing his throat, he spoke in the husky voice he had. "You'll be paying nine hundred."

Peter turned so abruptly that his phone almost fell out of his hand. "Nine hundred dollars?"

"Oh not that. The landlord only takes the rent in yen."

Peter lifted his head, brushing away strands of his hair which fell into his dark eyes. "You're kidding, right?"

"No, I was actually just being disrespectful," Colin replied, raking a hand through his own hair. "You really need to stop asking questions with obvious answers, Pikachu."

"Nine hundred dollars," Peter whispered, slowly sinking back down into the couch. "And how much are you paying?"

"Thousand two hundred."

"Woah," Peter breathed out. "I really can't afford that. I'm the embodiment of a broke college student."

"You're still schooling?" Colin was genuinely surprised. Sure, he had seen a couple of books suffocating Peter's backpack, but he never checked to see what they were. He assumed they were for reading and never actually considered the possibility of them being textbooks.