3. Covered words

Yuu Nishinoya

"Yuu honey, didn't you have morning practice?" Noya heard his mom's gentle voice bounce off of the walls in his room. "Mhm." He groaned pulling his blanket over his head as his mother opened the curtains, bright light illuminating the stuffed room. "At least don't be late for school." His mother sighed and walked out leaving the door open. Nishinoya huffed out a deep breath and sat up glaring at the wall opposite of the room. He really didn't want to go to school again.

He dragged himself out of bed and put on his school uniform, gelled up his hair and headed downstairs. He opened the fridge and quickly ate something to sooth his upset stomach. "Don't let it get to you," His mother pulled her son into a hug and kissed his forehead, "Now hop hop, off to school you go." Nishinoya rolled his eyes and took his bags and headed outside, "No detours!" He heard his mother shout and he lowered his head ignoring her.

He kicked a stone on his way down the street, his chest ached, who was Asahi's soulmate? Why wouldn't he tell him their name? If there was even a small chance that it was him... Nishinoya shook his head and rubbed his face. "Don't hope." He muttered to himself. He saw the school gates in the distance and his stomach churned. He'd get a preach from Suga and Daichi... definitely because he skipped morning practice just because he didn't want to face Asahi. Maybe he could lie, say that he didn't feel well. But he ignored his alarm on purpose, he should've send a message.

Nishinoya unlocked his phone seeing he had 3 missed calls and 5 messages. Tanaka had tried to call him twice and Daichi once, nothing from Asahi though. Nishinoya's eyes itched, he rubbed them stumbling into the school. Some kids looked at him and he quickly headed towards his classroom.

It was during lunch that Tanaka had entered Noya's homeroom with a concerned expression. He turned the chair opposite of Noya around and sat in front of his best friend, "What's up?" Tanaka asked and stared at his friend. Noya looked down at his bento and scratched his temple. "Daichi's disappointed you know?" Tanaka said with a quiet chuckle, Noya hummed in response. "Did," Noya started and took a deep breath finally facing his friend, "Did Asahi say who his soulmate is?" He asked, a look of realisation hit Tanaka and he gave his friend a pitying look.

"No," Tanaka sighed, "He said he didn't care about it and that it didn't matter. He's covering it up with a bracelet and like," Tanaka cringed looking out the window, "Those sweatband bracelet things during practice."

"Oh," Nishinoya mouthed and supported his head on his hands. His lungs squeezed and his stomach flipped, suddenly he wasn't that hungry anymore. "Worst of all," Tanaka said and slammed his fist on the table, surprising Nishinoya who looked up at him like he'd seen a ghost. Tanaka made direct eye contact with him, "Kiyoko's soulmate is Yachi."

Nishinoya's brain took a moment to process what Tanaka had just said, "I completely forgot Kiyoko-san also got her tattoo." nishinoya glanced at his friend who clearly looked upset. "Yachi-chan huh?" Nishinoya scratched his wrist unconsciously, trying to swallow the lump in his throat. "But what's most shocking is that she's her platonic soulmate, she's got another romantic soul mark and she doesn't wanna say who it is!" Tanaka got all worked up about it and slammed his head down on the table groaning. Slumping his shoulders in defeat.

"The suspense is killing me." Tanaka whined out, "Well," Nishinoya said and paused, petting Tanaka's head with a sad stare, "I'm sure she'll be happy with them Ryuu. You'll find yours, even if it's not Kiyoko-san."

"Right back at you." Tanaka grumbled and sat upright again. Nishinoya whined slightly, that one hurt. He knew Tanaka was referring to Asahi. "Yeah." Noya looked away and Tanaka got up, "See you at practice?" Nishinoya just hummed in response and the bell signalling the end of lunch filled the school hallways.