Author's Note

If you're here, that must mean you've read this story to the end, and I just want to really thank you for that. I know I took such a long time to finish it, but thank you for staying with me, nonetheless, and for giving me this chance to tell a story that began with a daydream.

I know some of you may be mad that I killed off Naomi. And I know killing a main character is often considered a letdown, but I just couldn't see another ending to her story. Naomi has never really believed in the Assassins' cause. All she wanted to do was protect herself and those she loved. And so, like Haytham said, "she died doing just that."

Also, I couldn't see an ending where Ratonhnhaké:ton got to spend the rest of his days with Naomi. You must think I'm ruthless. He already lost his village, his father, and now I had to take his love? But personally, I think Naomi was the price he had to pay. He was too headstrong, too naive, and I believed that only a loss so devastating could turn his heart.

Finally, I just want to say that I am aware that names are incredibly important to the Native Americans. Please know that I have no intention of claiming the name "Kahsennhaio:wi", and it is purely for fictional purposes. I adapted it from "Kahsennenhawe", which means "she carries the name" (I found this on behindthename.com) to make it sound like "Naomi".

Once again, thank you for reading and staying with me thus far. I grew up surrounded by amazing stories, written by people who have largely inspired my writing—Victoria Aveyard, Cassandra Clare and Suzanne Collins, just to name a few. I'm grateful to have this platform to share a crazy idea that actually, finally became words on paper (or rather, words on screens). Till next time, loves!