chapter twenty-nine

chapter twenty-nine: funerals suck

Once they got back into the room, they showed Karl the crime scene photos, Cassie doing her best to keep from using Lucy's postmortem photo even with the amount of times Karl asked to see her

However, Cassie did pull out a photo of Lucy that was found on the fridge at the family's home, one that was shoulders up and she was alive.

Karl smiles at the photo before pointing at it and looking up at Cassie.

"The girl...she kinda looks like you," he smirks, knowing he could get under Cassie's skin, "so beautiful...so...young"

Cassie gives him no expression, keeping her face neutral to not show any emotion with what he was saying.

"Tell me, how was the girl killed?" He asks.

"She was drowned" Hotch answers him.

"Yet the others were shot" Karl points out before looking up from the picture of Lucy, "may I see her?" He asks, referring to the postmortem photo that the agents had of her.

As his hand reached for the file, Cassie snatched it away from his reach.

"What's so special about the girl?" She asks him and he sighs, sitting back in his chair and crossing his arms.

"To suffocate her, to feel the life leave her body means everything to the man who did this"

"To you, maybe, but not to this killer. Not in the same way" Hotch shakes his head

"All I did was show them how weak fathers could be. That's all" Karl shrugs.

"Every child you killed you abused physically" Hotch states.

"For this man, there is no sexual gratification" Cassie adds.

"At least I spared the fathers the grief of living" Karl responds to the both of them before smiling.

Hotch's phone begins to ring and he sends a look to Cassie before leaving the room, leaving Cassie alone with Karl.

"He's killed again, hasn't he? Luckily for me" Karl smirks and Cassie scoffs.

"Luckily?" She realizes this is her chance to get along with Karl so that he could tell her what she wanted to know.

"Now we're alone" he smirks at her and Cassie slightly smiles at him.

"You stated that the families don't know the killer. Why?" Cassie changes the subject.

"Now we wait, right? You and I, see if my...admirer contacts me. He will" Karl nods.