Chapter two

I wake up to the feeling of something wet on my hand. 

It slides over my open palm, slimy. I yank my hand away and open my eyes. Where am I?

I look around and see that I'm in a small, purple room. A teenage girl's room. I'm laying in a pink bed, covered with white pillows. The room is overflowing with the smell of perfume, and the fan across the room does nothing to blow out the smell. Clothes are littered on the floor and the desk.

How did I get here? Why am I here? I look down to my right and see a black lab wagging it's tail next to me. So, this is the culprit of the mysterious hand licking. I look into it's deep brown eyes and almost melt. Who could be mad at that face?

Wait. What am I doing? I need to get out of this place! What if I was kidnapped my Thomas or something? Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. That's the only explanation! I have to leave. I need to go out the window!

 I hurry out of the pink blanket that covers me, but as my hand goes to uncover my body, I catch a glimpse at it. I quietly gasp. It must have been my eyes seeing things. There is no possible way.

I slowly look down at my hand and take a very sharp intake of breath. My hand is black. My arm is black. I look down at my legs that are now (somehow) in bright green pajama shorts. They're black too. How did this happen? It's not possible! You don't just wake up one day a different race!

This can't be happening. This is insane.

I look over at the desk on the other side of the room. There's a small mirror on the wooden counter.

What if I don't have my own face?

I slowly make my way over to the desk, and Iook down at my body. I look a few pounds lighter, and my legs are shaved. I didn't shave my legs this morning; I just threw on some jeans.

Oh, look at me, getting all worked up over the fact that my legs are shaved. Maybe I should focus on the fact that I have woken up in an unknown place, and have changed races!

I make it to the desk and pick up the small compact mirror. I bring in to my face and almost drop it immediately. In my shaky hands, in the mirror, I can see the face of a girl that is not myself. She has light brown eyes and a small nose. She has high cheekbones and dazzling white, straight teeth.

This is not me.

I put the mirror on the table and slowly sit down on the carpet. Reality is crashing down on me. I am in a different girl's body. I'm lost. I'm scared. My breathing gets faster and faster, and I can feel my hands shaking. My eyes overflow with water. The dog walks over, lays down, and puts his head in my lap.

After a while, I hear a loud, obnoxious beeping noise. I wipe away the tears from my eyes and turn around to the bed. On the carpet next to the bed is an alarm clock I didn't notice before. I get up and walk to it. I figure out how to turn it off, and am startled by a knock on the door. "Honey, come down stairs. It's time for breakfast." It's a woman's voice.

What should I say?

"Pretend to be their daughter. Go along with it," a male voice booms. I almost scream in suprise  at the deep voice commanding me. I'm shocked by the voice, but for some reason, I feel no need to rebel what he says. It feels like I should listen to him. Like I have to.

"Uh, okay. I'll be there in a minute," I reply, but it doesn't sound like me. It sounds more high-pitched. I hear footsteps walking away.

"Good job. You must pretend to be Susie until I can speak to you again. It's becoming hard to talk. You were born to live this life,'' the strange voice says. As he speaks, his voice gets smaller and quieter. More strained. I'm forced to do as he says. No matter what. I have to.

I open the door slowly, entering my new life.