Eraserhead and Scribe Chapters 25-30

Chapter 25

"I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this." Aizawa looked from Scribe to Joke.

"Why not?" Joke winked at him from across the lunch table. "I promise I won't hurt her."

Scribe's face remained inscrutable. "It's just a demo, Shota. The kids have to learn one way or another. What better way than to demonstrate some of our better moves?"

"You can't teach fighting without fighting." Joke took a bite of her sandwich.

Aizawa frowned. He had no idea what had passed between Scribe and Joke after he left. Scribe wasn't sharing, and that concerned him. Knowing Joke the way he did, he thought it likely she'd started something. He stood, picking up his half empty tray and looking sharply at Scribe. "Can I speak to you in private for a minute?"

She shrugged and picked up her tea, bringing it with her. Aizawa dumped his tray and put it in the return, then turned to her. "What happened with you two?"

Her eyes sparkled mischievously. "You know she's got a thing for you, right?"

"That's old news." He made a dismissive gesture. "It's no reason for you to challenge her to a fight."

"I didn't...well, sort of, but she kind of asked for it."

"Dear God." He rolled his eyes heavenward, then focused on Scribe. "Remember when I told you Joke is skilled at hand-to-hand fighting? Well, she's not just skilled, she's downright brutal. I've seen her take down a three-hundred pound man. And when I say take down, I mean he didn't get back up."

"Well, she won't do that to me." Scribe pursed her lips thoughtfully. "You've taught me well, Shota. And it's not a real fight. I'll be fine. But I don't really think I have a choice in this."

He folded his arms over his chest. "You may not but I do, Scribe. I have no intention of letting Joke—"

"She knows about Shigaraki."

He froze. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, when she was in my head, he was too. And she...sensed him, I guess? At any rate, I explained everything to her. I told her you know everything. But I think, somehow, she doesn't actually trust me, but if you let me fight her, you'll be showing her you trust me." Scribe stopped here and lifted her eyes to meet his gaze. "Do you trust me, Shota?"

"Of course I trust you." He sighed. "Joke, not so much." But that wasn't exactly right, either, was it? He did trust Joke. He'd fought with her numerous times. He just didn't trust her not to hurt Scribe if she thought deep down that Scribe was an enemy. Still, Scribe's words made a bizarre sort of sense that he knew would work out in Joke World. "Okay, I get it. I show Joke I trust you by letting you fight her because I know you know you're on the same side."

"Exactly." She nodded. "I won't disappoint you, Shota."

He touched her face lightly. "You could never disappoint me. No matter what happens." He bent and kissed her gently, and only when he drew back did he realize several students had stopped in their tracks, still holding their trays, staring at the two of them.

Mic walked up behind the students, a big grin on his face. "And we hope you enjoyed that number one hit from UA's own fabulous duo, Scribe and Eraserhead! Next up, one of my personal favorites called, Stop Gawking and Get to Class!"

Even Aizawa had to chuckle at this one. Mic gave him a high five, and he turned back to the table where Joke was watching the whole thing. He took Scribe's hand and they walked back together.

Scribe faced Joke in the fighting ring where, up until now, she'd only ever fought Aizawa. How had he described Joke's fighting style? "Brutal" and "uncultivated". She braced herself. She'd fought several villains by this point, and she'd definitely rate many of them as both brutal and uncultivated. Aizawa was a fierce fighter, but his style was both graceful and effective, and he'd taught her much the same.