Chapter 7 - An admission of intent

Odin takes the walk of shame back to the other Asgardians in the company of Ian and Max, but Loki and Sigyn remain on the hill a little while longer. Sigyn looks out over what could have become a true battlefield. Somehow, it all worked out in the end, and no one got truly hurt. Somehow, that mad plan that had formed in her mind over the years, mostly as a fantasy to pass away the time, a dream of justice to keep up her spirits, had worked.

Loki cannot tear his eyes off her. She did it, the impossible task. Somehow, the woman everyone discounted, brought Odin to his knees in front of all of Asgard. There was a time where she would sneak around in the darkness if there was something she wanted, something she knew she should not want, like the night she first came to him. Today, she took what she wanted, by force if necessary, and she did it in front of all of Asgard. And yet, she had still somehow managed to make sure no one got hurt. Except herself, cause Odin hadn't shown such consideration in sending his wolves on her.

With fingers as gentle as a summer's breeze he reaches out and strokes her arm, just to let her know he is there and to not frighten her, she seems so engulfed in her own thoughts. Gently, delicately, he unties the shirt around her arm. It doesn't look too bad. Well, that is a lie, it does look bad, with deep gashes and blood everywhere, but the blood is running slowly, and that is the best sign he could have asked for. As gently as he can, he ties the shirt around her arm again, tightening it as much as the odd fabric allows. She hasn't moved or even acknowledged him.

"Thank you," he whispers.

"I didn't do it for you," she replies, her voice so firm it almost sounds cold.

"I know," he assures her. "Thank you for them, for saving them when I could not." He hadn't even considered that maybe Sleipnir would need saving as well as Fenrir, but Sigyn had. He had seen it in her from the get go, that some day she would pass him by, the student becoming the master, and now that day has come. She has no need of him anymore. She is capable of going after what she wants for herself now, and no one will be able to, or dare try, to stand in her way. He almost reaches out, just to one last time stroke the hair away from her face, to one last time feel her skin against his. She turns around, almost as if sensing his thoughts.

"What do you mean, saving them when you couldn't?" she demands. "Loki, when have you ever in your life tried to save anyone but yourself?" She doesn't shout, that would have been easier to take, she isn't lashing out in anger, that he could have survived, but now, she asks in earnest, and it tears him up. He doesn't know what to reply, so he does the only thing he can still do for her.

"I wish you all the best, Sigyn," he says and turns his back on her, forcing his feet to carry him away.

"Loki Leaufeyson, don't you dare walk away from me!" The sheer nerve on that man! After everything she has done for him, he is just going to leave her? No, not like this, not as if they were mere friends parting ways after a joined journey. Not like this, like none of it meant anything.

Loki halts, but he doesn't turn around, he can't face her.

"You don't need me anymore." He has to force the words over his lips. "You can take care of yourself now. Let me go." Sigyn stands there in pure shock.

"So that's it, is it? Just like that, you'll be leaving? For how long? Forever? What is it? What did I do? What didn't I do? Am I just not entertaining enough anymore?" Her words cut through him like sharpened steel, and before he can think it through, convince himself not to do it, he has turned around, pulled her close, and pressed his lips to hers. She doesn't melt like she used to, and she doesn't shove him away, it's more like... Like she tolerates it. He lets her go. It is done, their bond broken, the spell dissolved.