Servant of Death

The winds from the barren lands to the south gave the constant impression in Leogorath of dust waiting to settle. The uncomfortable sight was composed also of the fact that it looked as if the people there had lived there longer than they had wanted to. On the outskirts of the settlement there were temporary houses for soldiers from distant parts of the realm and beings of all races walked around on some unknown errand looking nervous.

As she rode through, Tyril's excitement rose again when she saw a Valiaphite man. Living in Pyriam she had only ever seen one Valiaphite (a woman) who had come from the wild lands north of the Grey Wall. The man was clad in strange armour that looked as if it would shatter from the first blow received. It was a thin, metallic material that reminded Tyril more of glass than steel. A thick brown cape hung from his shoulders to the floor and on his back two beautiful swords that were strapped to his torso crossed at the hilt. His head was shaven and (as with all Valiaphites) a circular pattern had been tattooed onto his scalp, looking like a halo or a crown.

His eyes met hers and Tyril realised she had been staring at him. When she looked away hurriedly her gaze fell on a structure in the distance. A large building had been revealed from behind a tent and for the first time Tyril saw the majesty which was the manifestation of the pride of Leogorath. The Hall of Daghian was a magnificent structure; a great dome with six ribs that curved from the ground up to its apex. Intricately carved into the walls of the dome were scenes depicting the great battles of Daghym history. In one of the sections Tyril could see a figure that was obviously Daghian himself, the God that created the Daghym race, leading the souls of fallen Daghym warriors to eternal glory. He was walking towards a chasm which Tyril assumed represented the portal to the omnisphere.

Another section showed the battle against Thyos, a great beast that had come out of Herilum in the distant past. The scene showed many Daghym overpowering a creature that stood on four legs. Its face showed a hideous grimace. Tyril wondered for a moment whether Thyos was really as demonic as he was depicted.

The horses cantered around the dome until they reached an entrance at its base. The entrance was an open archway cloaked by thick curtains that hung from the top of the arch to keep out the dust that misted in the settlement constantly. A guard pulled aside the cloth and let them in once they had dismounted their horses. Inside Tyril breathed the clear air in relief while her eyes adjusted to the gloom. A fountain at the entrance caught the light from outside and dispersed it around the chamber. On the inside the dome was smooth stone with a balcony running along the curve above them. At regular points along the balcony there were small square windows which let some more light in as shafts that converged at the centre on a throne. On this throne sat the Daghym King; a being who immediately made Tyril feel smaller.

The King was large even for a Daghym, proof of his superior ancestry. He was clad only in a silk garment and plain footwear but his power was clearly evident. At his side a greatsword leaned against the throne in its sheath. The King stood up as they entered and strode forward to greet them.

"Ah welcome, I hope your journey was pleasant." He said with a grin. "The dust in Leogorath often surprises our guests; it never relents."

He held a hand out to Nedann who shook it nervously then turned on Tyril.

"You are Tyril, the mage that has come to aid us in our struggle against the beasts at our door." He said with a confident tone that evolved from years of authority. "I think you'll find our concern is warranted, we are at a loss as to what to do."

He looked again at Nedann as if trying to analyse him.

"Is this your only guard? It could have been a perilous journey."