Chapter 33- Healing Time

Alessio:

Eliana fell asleep in my arms, which was the way it should be. I had fooled myself for a long time, telling myself thatI did this to help her ward off nightmares- and while it did seem to help her sleep through the night, it was for my benefit too. Nothing was more calming to me than looking down and seeing her peaceful face against my chest. I might have been able to fall asleep too, if not for the chaos still reigning inside my head.

My thoughts kept going back to the Russians, and how long it would take them to rebuild. Dimitri seemed to be rational and level headed, and based on the way he led the insurrection, I figured he would be a good leader as well. This could be the perfect opportunity to align ourselves in a better way, to create alliances that would help in the long run. It would all come down to how they rebuilt, and I was ready to offer my help.

The ride felt shorter to me this time, maybe because I wasn't fueled by adrenaline anymore, but Leonardo pulled up in front of the house at the same time Dr. Montcroix did. I was careful not to jostle Eliana awake as she instinctively adjusted herself in my arms.

The surgeon saw her state and already started to rifle through his bag, "Is Ms. North alright?"

I spoke quietly so I didn't disturb her, "I think her ankle is the worst, but her body took some major hits over the last few weeks that I think may be worsened by all of this. There are some others that need help more immediately, Angelo over there probably the most."

The truth was that I wanted her taken care of first, but I didn't want to disturb her peace. Not to mention the fact that Eliana would probably be furious if she got medical care before those who were in worse shape.

Dr. Montcroix threw a glance at Angelo who was now stumbling out of the car with a sickly pallor. The doctor hurried in his direction but called over his shoulder, "I would ice her ankle when you get the chance. It'll be easier to address if it's not so swollen. And disinfect her arm!"

I had already planned on doing all of those things. Eliana had been underfeed for extended portions of her life, and I was pretty sure that it left a permanent mark on her, because she was lighter than I would have expected. It was almost no effort to carry her up the stairs to our room and set her down on the bed. She curled up onto her side, the one that didn't have a cut from a near miss with a bullet.

Not wanting to wake her up, but not wanting her to be uncomfortable, I gently tapped her and handed her the pajamas she usually slept in, "Eliana, how about these?"

She murmured something, barely opening her eyes before pulling the legging and sweatshirt to her chest. It was hard not to laugh at the way she slept, curled around whatever was nearest to her like a cat. Multiple times I had come to bed later than her, only to find Eliana clutching my pillow like a lifeline.

I made my way to the kitchen to find a cold compress for her ankle, as well as a glass of water or juice to help replace any fluids she had lost from the blood. I didn't expect to come across Angelo, "I thought the doc was taking a look at you?"

"Couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know," He grunted, limping towards the counter and falling against it. "Told me lots of fluids, gave me some quick stitches, he's done that for me so much that he didn't have to give me anymore instructions."

I stared as he reached into the liquor cabinet and pulled out a bottle of clear liquid. "I'm pretty sure that isn't what the doctor meant."

He raised an eyebrow, daring me to say anything more. "It's a remembrance for our Russian comrades."

Angelo didn't even have to ask before pouring two shots, sliding one across the counter towards me. I didn't exactly like the taste of straight vodka, but it wasn't about flavor. For me it was about taking the edge off, for Angelo it was probably about getting rid of some of the pain.