Chapter 11: The Ultra-Cruel Truth

A/N: This is a continuation of the previous chapter, so this one occurs in the same day as the previous one does. Enjoy!!!

"Nami!! Hurry up!!!!"

EVERYBODY ELSE BUT Luffy and Nami were sitting next to one another in the grandstand of the sports stadium. All the students on the seats were wearing their sports uniform, paired with sport shoes except for the swimmers who recently had their own practice. Nami noticed that Luffy was nowhere to be found as she remembered a buffy guy dragging him towards somewhere in the same stadium but what confused her was the fact that they were both missing.

In the middle of the stadium erected the two basketball hoops at each end of the court. Apparently, it was the reason why everyone had gathered inside the stadium; the basketball team was giving them a show.

"...and welcome our ultra majestic basketball team athletes!"

Cheers and squeals resonated across the stadium as said team walked into the light from the tunnel in the side, in a queue. Each were waving happily to their spectators, except for Luffy who seemed to be looking for something. Or someone. He had a neutral expression on his face while he was wearing a burgundy sweater over their majestic jersey top – a silver tank top lined with crimson felt – as he patted the shorts of the same colour scheme. When he finally had turned towards his friends place in the seats, his lips immediately stretched into a toothy smile.

The announcer once more blared from the speakers and, as it did, Sanji noticed a few unfamiliar face from the other side of the stadium. "So this is not everybody, then..."

"Whatcha blabbing about, curly brows?"

He ignored the swordsman's nickname to him. "I don't think it's just a regular sports day...I reckon there's a competition or something."

"A competition?" Brook overheard, since he was sitting behind them along with Chopper and Nami. Robin was in front of the latter. "Never seen posters around."

"That's because it's recently made," Franky stated, scratching his chin. "they didn't get time to announce the match so here we are, sitting in the stadium with no idea on what's happening."

"Neverthelss, we're watching Luffy-san so it's worth it. Yohohohoho!"

As true as it may be, but Nami was way too preoccupied to listen to their conversations. She had her head leaning on her elbow with dazed eyes on 'the team' on the court. She was still thinking about the happenings from earlier when Luffy literally swooped her but, at the same time, she kept in mind that he only did it out of reflex and nothing more. He saw her tripping and so the most logical thing to do was to keep her from falling right? Luffy may have succeed in doing so; too bad it didn't work figuratively.

Another queue of players came from the other side and, even if they were not their own, the students still cheered. It was fair treatment, as Robin pointed out.

Meanwhile, Brook was looking around. "Is it just me...or there are some people missing?"

Nami also turned her head to observe. "Now that you mention it...I don't see the Warlords around. Any idea, Jinbe?"

The foreign exchange student just shrugged. "Don't ask me."

But deep down, the orange haired girl had an idea why there were no Warlords witnessing the match. She connected the fact that there were no announcements about the match and the absence of the seven individuals; there might be someone behind the things happening. Someone powerful at school, and financially.

===

IT WAS FINALLY down to the final quarter. Everyone was tired out and sweating even Luffy who was normally full of energy. Seeing him pant out every now and then, Nami cursed herself for not telling him to attend their practice earlier. She blamed herself for him missing out. C'mon Luffy...you're just a score away from catching up...