CHAPTER 14

Well, Dad and I had cracked another case, and this time Dad got a big bonus from Riverside Winery. And you know what that meant – we got our own apartment! And after we moved in, the first thing I did was paint my new bedroom my favorite color: fluorescent orange.

"You sure about this color, Krista?" Dad asked, squinting from the brightness as he helped me paint the ceiling.

"I like orange," I insisted.

"Hope you like it a lot," he said, shaking his head. Then he cracked a smile. "Hope Gator and Mr. Borneman like it too 'cause it's the color they're going to be wearing for a long, long time." Dad and I both snickered. But then he shrugged and said, "Well, no matter how long, something tells me that when Borneman gets out, he's gonna get his old job back. Turns out, he had Cortland Trucking take out life insurance on all its employees, with the company as the beneficiary. And thanks to us finding Harley Beaudry's body, that policy is paying off big time."

"What?!" I asked, shocked. "So Mr. Borneman pays to have a body dumped, and now he's going to profit from his crime?"

"Well, look at the bright side," Dad said, gesturing to our nice new home, "so are we!"

It really was a nice new home. And, if you think about it, we were profiting from other people's crimes every day with our new job. But then, so was every private investigator out there, and all the cops too. But we were the good guys. We were working to keep the streets safe and to punish bad guys who got out of line. And, on top of it all, it was fun!

I didn't know if Mom was going to give Dad primary custody of me, but I hoped she would. Nothing against Mom, but with Dad, I had a job. A job I loved! Sure, I guess I was legally too young to officially be employed, but I was Dad's for-real partner. We were both 'Your On the Fly Private Eye'.

After all, we both really worked 'on the fly'. I mean, twice now, Dad thought he'd cracked a case only to realize, right in the middle of his big speech, that he was wrong. Then I jumped in to remind him of something I just thought of 'on the fly', and he was able to come up with the right solution 'on the fly'.

I guess it was the ability of both of us to think on our feet that made us such great private detectives. Hey, maybe I could get Dad to change it to 'Your On the Fly Private Eyes'.

Okay, one step at a time. At least he was letting me help. And I couldn't wait to keep on helping... with whatever our next case turned out to be!

###

If you liked this book, please check out

My Dad, the Private Eye: The Falling Star

book one in the series (if you missed it).

Thanks!