19. we get aphrodite-approved makeovers

"Lia? Lia, open the door!"

"No! Go away!"

I'm back in my childhood bedroom and I don't know why, but I'm sobbing. Noelle is banging on the door, but I've locked it. I catch a glimpse of myself in my mirror and my breath catches in my throat. My 'Birthday girl' sash is askew and my party hat is gone — I think I ripped it off in anger, or maybe shame. It's hard to determine exactly what is bubbling in my chest. But I know without a shadow of a doubt that this is the day of my tenth birthday party, the same day that picture of me and Noelle was taken.

My baby face is stained with tears, my eyes ringed with red. My chest is heaving at an unusual pace. I feel like I can't breathe. My lungs are screaming, begging for oxygen, but for some reason, I can't grant their wish. I can't breathe. Oh gods. I can't breathe. I collapse to the floor and lay on my back. At ten, I had no idea what was happening. I thought I was dying. But five years later and I'm far too familiar with this sensation. 

I'm having a panic attack. I try to steady my breathing, try to slow my heartbeat, try to stop my crying, but I can't. My vision is getting spotty. My chest is burning. I close my eyes and attempt to focus on anything other than what hurts. Noelle steps back from the door. I hear her run down the hallway, presumably to get the key to my room that she thinks I don't know about.

Noelle. Thinking about her makes me cry harder. I open my eyes to see rainbow sparks dancing overhead. My whole body feels so warm and I realize I'm glowing ever so softly. I raise my arms and examine them, awestruck. My skin is a myriad of colors. I can hear Noelle struggling to unlock my door and the sparks flicker out of existence. My glow dies out. I reexamine my arms and my eyes widen in horror.

The concealer Noelle had applied earlier is gone. I can see the purple bruises where his hands had gripped my arms so tightly that I'd cried. The door bursts open and the scene melts away. I'm in some grassy plain, laying on a red-and-white checkered picnic blanket.

I sit up. Clusters of flowers bloom all around me. The sun beams down, the sky perfectly blue and completely void of clouds. A gentle breeze sweeps back my hair, which is now down though I'm sure I put it up in a ponytail. I'm not wearing the dress I wore for my birthday party or the clothes the Hunters gave me. I'm in a green wrap dress patterned with white flowers under a jean jacket, a pair of white retro sunglasses tucked into the breast pocket. Whoever dressed me was nice enough to include my camp necklace, black leggings, and my Doc Martens I'd left back in Cabin 14.

I look good, but I don't understand why I'm dreaming of an outfit I've never worn. I just close my eyes and tilt my head back, drinking in the gorgeous sunshine and enjoying the breeze. I hear someone sit on the blanket next to me and open my eyes to see I've been joined by a woman. She's maybe late 20's and absolutely gorgeous, her long, wavy dark hair perfectly framing her heart-shaped face. She's wearing this pretty white dress that falls to her ankles and strappy sandals. She has my eyes and my skin tone.

I frown. "Mom?"

"It's beautiful here, isn't it?" Iris sighs and takes in the tranquil scene around us. She finally looks at me and laughs. "I thought you'd be happier to see me."

"I am happy, I'm just confused," I admit. I hesitate, but I can't stop myself from throwing my arms around her. She returns the embrace, rubbing my back soothingly. I'm more than a little disappointed when she pulls away.

She shrugs and wraps her arm around my shoulders. "I figured since everyone else was breaking the rules, why can't I?" She's silent for a moment, absentmindedly rubbing my arm while she watches the flowers sway in the wind. "You know, Cordelia, you're a very special girl."

"You have to say that, you're my mom," I point out. She shakes her head, smiling warmly.

"I'm sure Chiron told you that it's been centuries since one of my children was born with powers like yours," she says. I nod. He'd told me when I first came to camp and showed him what I could do. "And I'm sure you've figured out by now what you're up against. Or, rather, who."