Alternate Ending

~~~~

This is dedicated to HamnahKhan, who asked me to write a chapter in Finn’s POV.

For those who are wondering, this is the epilogue, done from Finn’s perspective. Hope you enjoy! :)

I hope I did it justice.

~~~~

Five Months Later…

If you think about it, life is a lot like the ocean.

Some of us calmly drift ashore, whilst others choose to make their own ripple effect in the world. Whilst some of us are gentle waves that lap along marble shores, there are some people in the world who fall into our lives like riptides, pulling us in all different directions. After you’ve run into a riptide, you’ll never be the same.

I’d like to think that Lacey Hannigan is a riptide.

She is the calm before an ever-changing storm. She’s impulsive—sometimes downright reckless—and she has the ability to move you and change you in ways that are totally out of your control. Once she takes hold of you, it’s impossible to let go.

I thought a year ago that my life was over; that, with the click of a loud gunshot and a startling shade of red against my shirt, my waves had calmed, and I was nothing. I was gone from this world; taken at eighteen, and never to know life or love or hope. Never to know what my future was.

I left behind a loving sibling; a beautiful girlfriend, Lana; my parents and friends and family and teammates. It felt, essentially, like I’d let the team down. Of course, initially, that meant nothing to me at all. I was dead. There was nothing but a dark, dark void beyond me.

And then all of a sudden I was waking up, seeing sunlight once again. I was smelling ocean breezes and feeling sand beneath my feet and living a life that I had no idea how to live. I’d died—Lucas’s black handgun had all but proven that theory—and, really, what’s left in life once you’re, you know, dead?

And then I saw her in a football stand, decked out in a cheerleader’s kit and shaking pompons and crooning a loud chant with a large grin. No one could see me amongst the crowd. No one heard my cries of anguish as my best friend took my place and claimed it as comfortably as someone sitting upon a couch. No one saw the fear and betrayal in my eyes.

No one but her.

I may have been dead, but I honestly believed she saved my life. And the next months with her, whilst confusing and hard, were some of the best. Sitting watching movies, flicking popcorn at her, seeing her smile and hearing her laughter…. It wasn’t perfect, but it was close to as perfect as you can get when, in reality, you’re buried six feet under. For once since I’d somehow been magically resurrected, she made me feel like everything was okay.