Hanukkah

Dave was adorable . He was excitedly listing off things they would need, sharing stories as he led the way through the grocery store, and all Klaus could do was watch him in silence, grinning like a fool. Seriously, how was it even possible for someone to be that cute?

"Oh yeah, we gotta make latkes ," Dave was saying as he dumped more ingredients into the cart. "Lucky for you I know the famous Katz family recipe."

They'd still been in Vietnam the last time they'd been together for Hanukkah. Klaus' first. It had been harder to celebrate there, the military barely letting them celebrate Christmas to keep morale up, and that was a holiday they'd somehow convinced themselves was secular, so of course they'd claimed to be apart from all religions, using that as an excuse to deny time and space for Jewish holidays for example. But still, Dave had somehow managed to get a hold of some candles and they'd crouched together hidden away in the supply tent for some privacy every evening for eight days as he dutifully explained it all, recounting stories of previous celebrations with family, the flickering candlelight making it feel like they were in their own little world.

Klaus would never forget the intimacy of it, Dave's hushed voice and his peaceful smile as he lost himself in the memories. Dave's smile wasn't a rare thing, the two of them were always laughing and joking, but this time there was something so open and genuine to it. It made Klaus feel special, being able to see this side of Dave, to share in such an important and personal part of his life. For once Klaus was content to simply listen.

But now they were in the future and could celebrate properly, no more sneaking around and hiding away. With Hanukkah approaching, he'd suggested it and Dave practically lit up at the idea and they'd left to get supplies almost immediately. Klaus couldn't help but wonder if this partly meant so much to Dave because it represented a bit of normalcy returning to his life. Reintegrating into society was hard enough after fighting in a war, and he had to deal with time travel on top of that. Everything must have felt so foreign to him right now.

He supposed that in the end it didn't really matter so long as it made Dave happy. He was still adorably excited and Klaus was just so glad to be able to see this side of him, to share in this part of Dave's life. He couldn't help himself, when they found themselves in an empty isle, he grabbed Dave's hand and pulled him close, kissing him.

"What was that for?" Dave asked with a breathy laugh when he finally pulled away.

"What?" Klaus asked innocently. "Am I not allowed to kiss my boyfriend?"

They both took every opportunity to refer to each other that way, as boyfriends. It was just too surreal and wonderful. Neither of them had thought they'd be able to have this, and here they were building a life, creating their own traditions and celebrating holidays together. It was disgustingly domestic and Klaus couldn't have been happier.

"Not when you look so suspicious," Dave said, pointing accusingly. "I'm watching you so you better not put anything weird in the cart."

"Like you could stop me," Klaus said, sticking his tongue out at him before grinning mischievously as they went back to their shopping.

Klaus felt lighter and happier than he ever had in his entire life and was actually looking forward to the future for a change. He just hoped Dave felt the same. But then, given how tightly he squeezed his hand and the soft, fond smile he shot his way, Klaus was fairly certain he did.