To Justify a Death

Skye wasn't going to lie, she wasn't holding up very well.

Oh she was keeping it together on the outside, carefully constructing her face to show no emotion, but her insides were a raging void of anxiety and nauseousness.

They had just passed a group of children on their way to the inside of their classrooms, hand in hand giggling the whole way. Bellamy had been stopped by a little boy asking if he knew his father. Bellamy said that he didn't, but that he'd watch out for him, and when the child happily skipped off to class they could read the name stitched to his backpack.

Lovejoy.

Bellamy's face had crumpled for a moment and Skye didn't know how to help him. Maya looked like she wanted to throw up.

The spiraling, maze-like compound spun them around and around until they were hurtling down dark corridors that couldn't have personified her fear more accurately. It was cold, so cold as the fans blowing uncontaminated air through the rooms whirred.

By some miracle they made it to level five and the 100's dorm room. Skye's relieved breath shuddered through her rib cage.

She found Bellamy's arm and squeezed gently, seeing the faces she didn't think she'd ever meet again milling around the dorms. They still kept themselves shrouded in shadows seeing guards patrolling nearby, but they had made it.

Then the alarms began shrieking.

The doors to the dorm slammed shut with a taunting crash.

"What the hell is going on?" Bellamy pulled his cap down further and averted his gaze.

A face nearly slammed against the tiny window on the doors of the dorm.

Jasper.

Their gazes collided in an explosion of shock and fear.

Distantly, Skye heard Maya whisper that it wasn't a breach, but she was focused on her imprisoned friend. Her hand was rigid by her side and she watched his terrified gaze follow to it. He nodded to show he understood.

Stay were you are. Be careful.

"Get me to that radio," Bellamy said to Maya, an inscrutable hardening in his posture.

Maya took one last look at Jasper that conveyed some indecipherable emotion before nodding and leading the way away.

Their footsteps tore through the concrete and the sounds of their running ricocheted around the hallways like a bullet. It wasn't long before they reached the radio room.

Maya showed them how to pick it up and Bellamy couldn't have started talking faster.

"Camp Jaha, this is Mount Weather. Anyone read me?" He held the black radio like it was a lifeline, repeating himself when nobody answered, "Camp Jaha, this is Mount Weather. Does anyone read me?"

A throbbing, tense moment of silence was the only answer.

Until, "Bellamy?"

Skye sagged against the wall in relief and Bellamy's voice cracked, "Clarke?"

Her voice was so musical. Such a difference from the shrieking alarms or the sounds of the prison, "Are you alright? Is Skye with you?"

He held the radio to her and she answered, "I'm here. We're both alright. We're with Maya."

Bellamy pulled back and his words came out in a rushed panic, "We have to talk fast. Something's changed. Jasper, Monty, everyone is locked in the dorm."