Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight: Greymouth

The day had almost \fully passed, a deep black night sky surrounding them as Erasmus paused atop a hill

The day had almost \fully passed, a deep black night sky surrounding them as Erasmus paused atop a hill. The moon was vibrant, almost full, and illuminating what I assumed was our destination. It was a village, or rather a city, with several houses and other buildings. The man I was with had said we were going to Greymouth. Was this it?

I looked down at Erasmus. He was taking deep steady breaths, unlike the other wolf who was panting heavily. I glanced at it. its eyes had met mine for a split second before they flicked away, almost in a sense of fear. I didn't understand. I didn't understand anything. What was going on?

I felt movement below me. We were moving again, but only at a trotting gate that was more leisurely. The smaller wolf lowered its head and began to trail behind us. Looking forward again, I saw that there was. A stone wall protecting the city and a heavy-looking gate made of wood and some sort of metal blocking our entrance. A few men and women sat in front of it when they saw us approaching, they stood alert.

"Open the gate!" One man called and the gate slowly pushed open with a horrible creaking at the hinges.

Erasmus dipped his head to the people who I assumed were guards. They tipped their eyes down before their eyes landed on me, their eyes glinting with confusion. I averted my eyes from them, focusing on the back of Erasmus's neck. However, I could still feel their gazes scrutinizing me. I tried to ignore, at least until we passed into the city walls, the gate closing behind our small group. My eyes sneaked up to take in my surroundings.

We were on the main road, which branches off into a few others. Houses and shops, mostly made of stone or wood, sometimes a mix of both lined the road. Some had dark windows, others had some with a yellow light showing from candles or a hearth. The streets were almost empty, which was reasonable since it was so late. There were a few stragglers though, people who seemed to be drunk or more guard like people. As well as a few women, walking together in small groups.

We finally stopped again, going through another guarded gate. We were greeted by a few people this time, one I could recognize as the man Heitor. His dark eyes held a certain look to them, was it mischievous or amused? I couldn't tell. He came to the side of Erasmus, grabbing hold of me without much of a warning, pulling me off the back of the beastly wolf. I yelped almost, a little frightened. He chuckled before setting me delicately on the frozen ground.

"My apologies, Miss. I was scared that you might have slipped." He dipped his head.

An annoyed growl rumbled through Erasmus as he shifted. "Her name is now Kitti... And please refrain from upsetting her."

I turned to him as he spoke, but before I could say anything, three giggling women approached him. They were all very beautiful, dressed in luxurious, vibrant gowns. One woman had hair the color of sunshine and another with similar features had hair a slightly darker golden sheen to it. They both had ocean green eyes, blue swirling into the shades of their rich green. And both were curvy, their thin waists that flared out accentuated by their dresses. The one with golden hair had a very large chest, they almost burst from the tight dress.